Bachelor of Science Degree in Nursing (BSN)
Printable PDF Documents
Requirements, Policy & Procedure for Admission
Professionals In Demand - BSN Program Brochure
Academic Record Summary
Guaranteed Admission Policy
Nursing Major Application
Admission Recommendation Form
Information on the TEAS
Application Requirements for Admission into the Nursing Major
Admission to the nursing major (NURS 255 and higher numbers) requires that a student has demonstrated scholarly ability to pursue a professional career in nursing. An Application for Admission to the Nursing Major must be submitted by September 15 for Spring admission and by February 1 for Fall admission, along with the $25.00 application fee.
Prior to applying to the nursing major, a student must have met the following criteria:
A. Completed Minot State University admission requirements. This needs to be done before making application to the nursing major.
B. Completed all science courses within 10 years prior to admission to the nursing major
C. Maintained a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.75.*
D. Achieved a minimum grade of "C" in each required support course. (Support courses that are repeated must be successfully completed with a "C" or better prior to application.)
E. Required Lab Science Courses can be repeated only once.
F. Achieved a GPA of 2.8 in required support courses.
G. Completed or enrolled in a minimum of 50 SH
H. Completed a minimum of 8 required support courses of which two are Sciences (Biol 142, Biol 220, Biol 221, Chem 115).
I. Completed or enrolled in all required support courses for the nursing major.
|Required Support Courses||40 SH|
|BIOL 142 General Microbiology||4|
|BIOL 220 Anatomy & Physiology I||4|
|BIOL 221 Anatomy & Physiology II||4|
|CHEM 115 Introductory Chemistry (or equivalent)||4|
|SOC 110 Intro to Sociology||3|
|PSY 111 Intro to Psychology||3|
|ENG 110 or 120 College Composition I or II||3|
|HMS 213 Life Span Growth & Development||3|
|NURS 253 Nursing Perspectives||3|
|COMM 110 Fund of Public Speaking||3|
|HMS 240 Nutrition||3|
|Cultural Course (HMS 333, SS 283, Soc 374)|
Cultural courses must address a variety of cultures.
J. All students born outside the United States and Canada must complete the TOEFL:IBT with a minimum score of 79 or minimum paper based score of 550 as a requirement for admission into the nursing major.
K. All applicants must take the TEAS V test and achieve a "proficient" level score to be eligible for admission.
L. A 1-2 page essay on your philosophy of nursing must be included with the application.
M. Two references must be submitted before the deadline for application. The reference form may be downloaded from the DON web page. These reference forms must be mailed directly to the Department of Nursing at Minot State University by the recommender (not the applicant).
N. The signature of your advisor is required for admission application. It is expected that you communicate through email, phone, or in person with your advisor during the application process.
Nursing Department Selection Policy and Procedure
By November 15, available positions will be filled for the following Spring semester. By March 15, the available positions will be filled for the following Fall semester. The positions will be filled from eligible applicants based upon the following "Procedure." These selected students will be deemed "admitted" pending satisfactory review of transcripts.
1. Positions will be filled through guaranteed admission and/or ranking.
2. Ranking will be accomplished through a point system: (Total possible 25)
- Required support courses GPA will be calculated as 5 x the GPA of completed support courses at the time of application for a maximum of 20 points.
- TEAS V - points will be given for the following scores: Proficient (1) Advanced (3) Exemplary (5)
- Eligible applicants will be ranked using the GPA from the completed required support courses and results of the TEAS.
3. Tie Breaker: Cumulative GPA will be used to break a tie.
4. Selection: The qualified applicants are selected for admission assignment in the following semester. Remaining qualified applicants will remain ranked as "alternates" for that semester.
- Upon the disqualification or withdrawal of a selected student, the open positions will be offered to the highest ranked student from the list of alternates.
5. Continuing Requirements for Admission after Selection: The admission status is subject to a review of the transcript after posting of grades for the semester during which application was made. A satisfactory review includes:
- Maintained a minimum cumulative GPA (grade point average) of 2.75.
- Completion of all required support courses, with a minimum grade of "C." Achieve an overall GPA of 2.8 in the Required Support Courses. An "I" in a course will be judged as an incomplete if the faculty member for the course or courses does not provide written documentation that all requirements have been satisfactorily completed at a minimum grade of "C" by the first day of classes of the semester of admission; therefore, an "I" without the above required written documentation means a student would be ineligible for admission.
- Completion of 50 semester hours.
6. English language proficiency requirement. (See MSU Undergraduate Catalog for policy. See J. under Requirements for Admission to the Nursing Major.)
7. Criminal Background Check, CPR and Health Protection Requirements are required upon acceptance.
8. A student not meeting required criteria may reapply during the next application period.