Incomplete Grade Reporting Policy

An incomplete grade may be requested by a student who has been in attendance, has done satisfactory work (C or better) during the term, and whose work is incomplete for reasons found to be satisfactory to the instructor. A Course Completion Agreement eForm detailing the work to be completed and expected completion date must be submitted by the student and approved by the instructor. The eForm must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office by the grade submission deadline. If a Grade Change eForm is not submitted by the instructor to the Registrar’s Office prior to the first Monday following the assignment completion date listed in the Course Completion Agreement, the "I" grade will be automatically changed to the official grade as assigned on the agreement. Extensions will not be granted.

  • The grade of Incomplete (I) is an administrative grade that may only be entered by the Registrar’s Office. A grade of "X" (In Progress) will be available for 595, 598, and 599 courses.
  • The instructor will submit the grade earned at the time of grade posting if they choose not to sign a Course Completion Agreement or the student does not request an incomplete grade.
  • The instructor may complete the contract on behalf of the student for circumstances beyond the student’s or faculty control. A summary must be attached to include the instructor communication attempts or actual communication with the student.
  • Graduate School:
    If a Grade Change eForm is not received by the Registrar’s Office prior to the 60th calendar day following the date the original grade was due, the “I” grade will automatically be changed to the official grade as assigned on the agreement. Extensions will only be considered due to extenuating circumstances. A full explanation in writing from the student AND faculty member involved, approved by the program director and department chairperson, must be approved by the Associate Vice President of the Graduate School one week prior to the completion date deadline for consideration. A new Course Completion Agreement eForm must be submitted with the extension request attached.


Academic Policies Committee - 08-09/FS - 4.16.09