Skip to content
Be seen. Be heard.

Veterans Services

1607 Checklist

Deployed National Guard - Reserve GI Bill - 1607 info (VA Link)

As a student drawing benefits under Chapter 1607, the Reserve Educational Assistance Program-REAP, there are a few things you should be aware of:

1. Just a reminder, you are eligible to apply for federal financial aid online at

  • Contact Laurie Weber, Financial Aid Office if you need assistance with the application.
  • If you are not applying for financial aid, be aware that you will still need to pay tuition and fees by the regular fee payment deadline or sign up for the MSU Tuition Payment Plan in order to avoid being cancelled for nonpayment.
  • Contact the Business Office at 858-3330 for more information.

2. If you have not yet applied for the GI Bill, please apply online at

  • Provide a copy of your Ch.1607 Certificate of Eligibility to the Veterans Center when you receive it from VA via US mail.

3. If you previously used Ch. 1606 MGIB-Selected Reserve benefits and are transitioning to Ch. 1607 after serving on active duty, you will need to complete the 22-1995 and return it to me with a copy of your orders to Active Duty and your DD214 (discharge document).

  • If you are a transfer student from another school where you used the GI Bill, please complete a 22-1995 Change of Place of Training Form at and provide a copy to me.

4. Each semester, complete a "VA Worksheet" to convey your enrollment plans after you register and to confirm whether you wish to continue receiving benefits.

  • If this form is incomplete or not returned, you will not be certified. The worksheet is available at my office or online at the MSU Veteran Services web site at

5. If you are eligible for State Tuition Assistance, be sure to apply for those benefits as well. The TA application is a separate process from the GI Bill.

6. The VA requires that you verify your enrollment at the end of each month before they will issue you a payment.

  • You may verify your enrollment either by calling 1-877-823-2378 or by confirming your enrollment online at .
  • If you have signed up for direct deposit, you will receive your payment more quickly because you will eliminate printing and mail time.
  • To sign up for direct deposit, call 1-877-838-2778. Be sure the VA has your correct address. They will not allow your checks to be forwarded.
  • You may contact the VA through the WAVE web site mentioned above to process address changes. Also be sure to update your address on the MSU Campus Connection online at

7. It may take approximately 7-8 weeks for your initial application for benefits to be processed.

  • Your first check will include all monies due you retroactive to the first day of school.
  • After your initial check is issued, you should receive your check during the first week of each month that you are enrolled.

8. Please notify me as soon as possible regarding changes to your enrollment so that I can convey your new enrollment status to the VA.

 9. If you would like more information about the GI Bill, check out the VA website at or call the VA at 1-888-GIBILL-1.

  • You can also contact the office via e-mail at by phone at (701) 858-4002 or 1-800-777-0750, ext. 4002.