Report a Concern

There are several options for reporting a concern of sexual harassment and other sexual misconduct. You may wish to disclose a concern to the University– anonymously or not– or you may wish to engage in a formal investigative process by filing a formal complaint. As you consider your options, it is important to keep a few things in mind:

  1. Supports are available to you throughout the reporting process
  2. Disclosing a concern is not the same as filing a formal complaint with the University Title IX Coordinator
  3. We can answer any questions you may have for you to make an informed decision about engaging in process that feels right for you.

If you are in immediate danger and need help, you can contact the University's Campus Security at 701-500-2423 or Minot Police Department (or 911). Contacting Minot Police Department does not obligate you to file charges.

Title IX Coordinators have specialized experience in responding to disclosures of sexual harassment and other sexual misconduct. They serve in a neutral role, support all members of the Minot State University community, and are expert resources around the University’s policies, procedures, and resources in the realm of sexual harassment and other sexual misconduct. Coordinators serve as the primary point of contact for individuals seeking supportive measures, individualized supports that enable community members impacted by sexual harassment or other sexual misconduct to access their work or studies.

Disclosing to the Title IX Coordinator is not the same as filing a formal complaint. Rather, the Title IX Coordinator is a resource to help you make an informed decision about which pathways are right for you.

You may file a formal complaint alleging a violation of the University policies. To file a formal complaint, please submit your complaint in writing to the University Title IX Coordinator. Please note, your formal complaint:

  • must be a document or electronic submission
  • contain your physical or digital signature, or otherwise indicates that you are the person filing the formal complaint
  • allege sexual harassment or other sexual misconduct against an individual and request that the University investigate the allegation(s)
  • state the name (if known) of the individual who you are alleging engaged in sexual harassment or other sexual misconduct and describe with reasonable specificity the incident(s) of alleged sexual harassment or other sexual misconduct, including the date and place of such incident(s).
  • must be in your own words, and may not be authored by others, including family members, advisors, or attorneys
  • should have an attached list of any sources of information (for example, witnesses, correspondence, records, and the like) that you believe may be relevant to the investigation.

Your complaint should not be delayed if such sources of information are unknown or unavailable.  To understand the complete grievance procedure, please see Sexual Harassment Policy.

You may submit anonymous disclosures of sexual harassment or other sexual misconduct to the Office for Title IX by using the Online Anonymous Disclosures.

Report to Law Enforcement - Criminal Process

If You Decide to Report the Incident to Law Enforcement

  • Contact the police in the municipality where the sexual assault took place as they have jurisdiction to investigate. If you are unsure, contact the Campus Security and they will assist you.
  • If the assault occurred on university property, contact the Campus Security or Minot Police Department. The Minot Police Department non-emergency number is 701-858-0111.
  • Although a patrol officer is generally the first to respond, a trained detective will do the investigation. Police, in order to investigate the crime, will interview the survivor, collect evidence from the crime scene, receive the evidence obtained at the hospital, take a formal statement and protect the survivor’s anonymity.
  • The survivor is entitled to request the presence of a Victim Advocate during the interview. If you would like to speak with an advocate or have an advocate present, contact the Domestic Violence Crisis Center, 701-852-2258.
  • The interview will usually focus on the events prior to the initial contact with the assailant, a detailed account of the behavior and words used by the survivor and the assailant, a detailed account of the assault and a description of the assailant.


There are many steps that occur from the time a survivor reports to the final outcome of a prosecution. If the criminal charge is pursued further, the police and/or an advocate can talk with you about next steps.

  • Sexual assault is a crime that is prosecuted by the state. The survivor is assigned an attorney from the Prosecutor’s Office where the assault took place.
  • Once the police finish their investigation, all evidence is turned over to the Prosecutor’s Office, where it is reviewed and then make decisions regarding the case.
  • The survivor becomes a witness, if the case moves forward.
  • The law also limits the admissible evidence concerning the survivor’s prior sexual activity.
  • There are several steps to the prosecution process including issuance of a warrant, arrest, arraignment, grand jury and the trial. Some steps require the survivor’s presence in court.