Visas and Entry into the U.S.

The following is a list of important steps you need to take in order to prepare for your arrival on the Minot State University campus. We look forward to meeting you!

Your Form I-20 or DS-2019
The Admissions Office sends admitted students the I-20 form necessary to apply for an F-1 Student Visa once ALL supporting documentation mentioned in the application checklists has been received.

Your official letter of admission will include the Form I-20 if the all required documents were completed, submitted, verified, and approved by the International Admissions Specialist at the point of admission.

Once you obtain the I-20, sign & date section 11. 

Your I-20 should always be kept in a safe place. You will be required to present this document whenever you cross the U.S. border, travel within the U.S., and on several other occasions throughout your time as a student in the U.S.

* J-1 exchange students and scholars will receive a DS-2019 form instead of an I-20.

Accompanying Dependents: You must notify the International Admissions Specialist of any accompanying dependents in F-2 status and provide biographical information (e.g., full name,address, city, country of birth, etc.) and immigration information (e.g., passport information, visa information, etc.) regarding those dependents.

SEVIS (Student Exchange Visitor Information System) is an Internet-based system in which the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) maintains info on non-immigrant visitors holding F, M and J visas.

When to pay You will be able to pay the SEVIS fee once you have received your I-20 form. The fee must be paid at least 3 business days BEFORE applying for your visa, or applying for admission at the U.S. port of entry for those exempt from the visa requirement.

How to pay:
The fee can be paid to the Department of Homeland Security by mail or online, and must be accompanied by a Form I-901. It can be paid by you or by a third party, inside or outside the US.

To Pay by Mail:

  1. Obtain a Form I-901 "Fee Remittance for Certain F, J, and M Non-immigrants".
    • Download the form from
    • Complete the Form I-901.
    • Be sure to write your name exactly as it appears on your I-20.
  2. Prepare a check, international money order, or foreign draft (drawn on U.S. banks only) made payable to "The Department of Homeland Security."
    • Mail the completed I-901 and payment to the address listed on Form I-901.
    • A Form I-797 receipt notice should be mailed within 3 days of processing the fee. Be sure to make copies of your receipt, and keep it with your other important immigration documents.

To Pay Online:

  1. Find the Form I-901 at
  2. Complete the form online and supply the necessary Visa, MasterCard, American Express information. Be sure to write your name exactly as it appears on your I-20.
  3. Print a copy of the online receipt.
  4. Be sure to make copies of your receipt, and keep it with your other important immigration documents.

To Print your SEVIS Fee Receipt:

  1. After paying your fee, you can print your SEVIS fee receipt from the USCIS website at this link by entering your SEVIS ID number, last name, and date of birth. Your SEVIS ID number can be found on your I-20.

To Pay through Western Union
U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) has implemented an alternative method of payment for the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) fee for international students and exchange visitors. Since November 1, 2004, nonimmigrant students and exchange visitors in more than 130 countries are able to pay the I-901 SEVIS fee locally using the Western Union Quick PayTM service.

Canadian citizens are visa exempt and do not need a visa to study in or enter the U.S.

The visa is the most commonly misunderstood immigration document. It is a stamp that the United States consulate or embassy gives foreign nationals in their passports and which they must have to enter the United States in the particular classification they request (e.g.: F-1 or J-1).

The validity of a visa stamp pertains only to the period during which it may be used for admission to the United States. It does not indicate how long you may stay in the United States.

Schedule a Visa Interview
A visa can only be issued by a U.S. Embassy/consulate. Contact the nearest embassy or consulate for detailed instructions; requirements for processing the visa will vary by location, and many offices will require a visa interview. Check with the US Embassy/Consulate in your home country for their requirements. Allow a minimum of 4 weeks for this process to be complete.

» Tips When Applying for a Visa

You may enter the United States a maximum of 30 days before the start date listed on your Form I-20 or Form DS-2019.

All new international students, including graduate and transfer students must attend the F-1 Regulations Workshop. Undergraduate students are also required to attend the New Student Orientation run by Enrollment Services.

We recommend that you arrive the Wednesday before classes start, so that you have a little time to get settled and begin to recover from jet lag before New Student Orientation and the F-1 Workshop.

Be sure to bring all of your documentation regarding Minot State University (including proof of financial resources). It is crucial that you bring your documents in order to successfully obtain entry into the United States. Without proper documentation and identification you will be denied entry until all documentation is present.

Form I-94: This is the small white card (Arrival/Departure record) given to foreign nationals at the port of entry to the United States, and which an immigration officer validates and staples into the passport. This is a very important document as it indicates the visa classification you are given upon entry to the United States and the length of time you may stay. A notation of D/S (for Duration of Status) will be noted on most student or exchange visitors I-94’s.

Shuttle from airport/train station to campus:
Minot State University Enrollment Services office will be providing complimentary train and airport shuttle services January 8-13, 2020. This service is available to all new and returning students! Please request your flight or train pick-up at as soon as you know your arrival information.  A shuttle will also be available to students for shopping trips to Walmart and Dakota Square Mall shopping centers on the weekend before classes begin.

If you need to take taxi transport to campus: 
The university is just a 5 min drive. There are two taxi companies in Minot: 
Taxi 9000 phone: (701) 852-9000
Central Cab Company phone: (701) 852-8000 

Phones that connect directly to a taxi company are located in the airport on the north wall, to the right of the luggage belt. Phones are also available to make local calls free of charge.

If you would like to access wi-fi on a personal device (iphone, iPad, laptop, etc.) while at the Minot airport this service is offered free of charge.

  • User ID: MOT
  • Password: MOT

You are responsible for informing the Housing office of your arrival date and time. This is extremely important because international students are allowed to check-in before the general campus population in order to attend CONNECT orientation and rest over the weekend. However, you MUST notify housing of your exact arrival date and time in order to ensure that staff will be able to assist you when you need them. 

AS SOON AS YOU KNOW YOUR ARRIVAL DETAILS, contact the housing office by emailing or call +1-701-858-3363. You will be put in contact with your Residence Hall Director to make the necessary arrangements for check-in.

Every visa is issued for a particular purpose and for a specific class of visitor. Each visa classification has a set of requirements that the visa holder must follow and maintain. Those who follow the requirements maintain their status and ensure their ability to remain in the United States. Those who do not follow the requirements violate their status and are considered "out of status." Failure to maintain status can result in arrest, and violators may be required to leave the United States. Violation of status also can affect the prospect of readmission to the United States for a period of time. Most people who violate the terms of their status are barred from lawfully returning to the United States for many years.