Skip to content
Center for Extended Learning
Image of dual credit students

Dual Credit

Are you interested in earning college credit while still in high school? A great way to get a head start on your college education, save time, and save money is to enroll in college courses while still in high school. Plus courses may meet your high school graduation requirements. Take college classes offered through your high school, through IVN, or on MSU’s campus. Students in grades 10-12 with a 3.0 or higher high school GPA and approval from their high school administrator are eligible to enroll in dual credit courses.

Advantages of Dual-Credit Courses

How to Register for Dual Credit Courses

Cost of Dual Credit Courses

The cost of courses taken from MSU by high school students vary depending on the delivery location. A typical course is 3-4 credit hours. Tuition is due within the first two weeks of the semester. Exact dates can be found by contacting the Business Office.

Emerging Scholars

Earn an Emerging Scholars Award equal to the tuition for each Dual Credit course taken at your high school during your high school junior and/or senior year. When you enroll on the MSU campus as a full-time student for the semester following your high school graduation, you can use your Emerging Scholars Award to offset the cost of tuition and fees. Recipients of the Bank of North Dakota grant and/or Dollars for Scholars may not receive an Emerging Scholars Award.

Financial Assistance Available

Bank of North Dakota allows you to take up to two college courses per school year for free if you meet the following qualifications:

  • You need to be a sophomore, junior, or senior attending a North Dakota high school.
  • The school district superintendent or designee must approve of you taking the course. In most cases, you'll visit with a guidance counselor or principal first.
  • You need to qualify for Free or Reduced Price Lunch.
  • Complete this Dual Credit Assistance Application if you meet these criteria.

Dropping a Course

We encourage you to strongly think through enrollment before applying for a Dual Credit Course, but if you decide you need to drop a course please use the following guidelines:

  • If you are taking more than one course, but only dropping one of them, complete the Dual Credit Drop Form
  • The course must be dropped within the first 8.99% of instructional days of the semester. The exact date can be determined from the Business Office. After this date, there will be no refund for a dropped class.
  • If you are dropping all your courses, please complete the withdrawal form. A sliding scale tuition refund process is used based on the withdrawal date.

You must contact Minot State University directly to drop a course. Requests made to your high school administrator or counselor does not guarantee a change in enrollment at Minot State University.


Contact Jennifer Beneke
Credit Coordinator
(701) 858-3990
1-800-777-0750, ext. 3990
Fax: (701) 858-4343