Will my credits transfer?

Credit for your credits.

You’ve worked hard to get to where you are today. Earn credit for your credits when you transfer to Minot State.


How we accept credits

Minot State accepts and transcribes all credits from regionally accredited institutions. All credit hours will be transcribed as semester hours on your University transcript in one of the following ways:

  • Equal to a specific course at Minot State.
  • As general education credit.
  • A requirement toward your major, minor, or concentration.
  • As elective credit.



Unofficial transcript evaluations

Official transcript evaluations are available for admitted students only. Take advantage of our unofficial transfer review of your general education coursework. To evaluate your program or major transfer courses, please indicate the program or major on the form.


  1. Fill out the Unofficial Transcript Evaluation Request.
  2. Email the request to transfer@MinotStateU.edu.
  3. Allow 3-5 business days to process.

Evaluation Request



Transfer Equivalency System

You can also check to see if your courses have existing equivalencies through the Transfer Equivalency System. This information is only provided as a guide and does not guarantee that a particular course will be accepted for transfer credit. An official evaluation will be done when your transcript(s) are posted.

View Equivalencies


Frequently Asked Questions

It is not necessary to request transcripts if you attended the following North Dakota University System (NDUS) institutions:

  • Bismarck State College
  • Dakota College at Bottineau
  • Dickinson State University
  • Lake Region State College
  • Mayville State University
  • North Dakota State College of Science
  • North Dakota State University
  • University of North Dakota
  • Valley City State University
  • Williston State College

We will be able to retrieve your academic transcript(s) from your previous NDUS institution(s) at no charge to you. However, you will be notified if you have any holds on y our academic transcripts for outstanding debt owed to a NDUS college or university. No refunds will be granted for individuals who inadvertently request transcripts to be exchanged between NDUS institutions.

Your general education requirements will be considered complete if you have one of the following:

  • A four-year bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution.
  • An Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree from an NDUS school.
  • General education requirements at any NDUS school to fulfill the North Dakota General Education Transfer Agreement (GERTA).
  • General education requirements under a Minot State agreement.

If you've earned credit from a quarter credit system, your credits will convert to semester credits. For example, a three credit course completed in a quarter calendar will transfer as two credits to our semester calendar.

The Minot State Undergraduate Catalog provides official lists of degree programs and their requirements.

You must have 60 total credits from a four-year institution. A minimum of 30 credits must be earned at Minot State.

Yes. Minot State is required by our governing body, the North Dakota University System, to collect transcripts from all the colleges or universities you have attended in the past, no matter how long ago it may have been.