Grading System

Academic Appeals
Students who fail to withdraw from school or drop a course prior to the first day of final exams are directed to the Student Rights Committee for review. Information is available and requests are submitted through the Registrar’s Office. More information on the Student Rights Committee can be found in the online Undergraduate Catalog under Academic Information - Grading System - Student Rights Committee.

Students who are not satisfied with a grade and have reason to believe the grade issued is incorrect, have the right to appeal. The Grade Appeal Form is available on the Registrar's Office website.

Academic Honors
Undergraduate students who earn a minimum term GPA of 3.80 while enrolled for 12 or more credits during the fall or spring semester will be placed on the President’s Honor Roll. Students who earn a GPA of 3.50 will be placed on the Dean’s Honor Roll.

The cumulative GPA is used to determine which baccalaureate degree students graduate with honors. Students must have completed at least two terms and 30 or more credits at Minot State. The minimum honors requirements are as follows: Cum Laude - 3.50 GPA, Magna Cum Laude - 3.75 GPA, & Summa Cum Laude - 3.90 GPA.

Course Repeat
Students may repeat a course taken at Minot State or those originally taken at another institution; however, they should be aware of the guidelines in place for repeating courses. Students can view these guidelines in the online Undergraduate Catalog under Academic Information - Grading System.

Grade Point Average (GPA)
The grade point average (GPA) is computed by dividing the number of honor points earned by the number of semester credits attempted for which grades of A, B, C, D, or F were given. Honor points are calculated by multiplying the number of semester credits by the points awarded for the grade achieved in the course.

    For example, a student who received an A, a B, a C, and a D in four 3-credit courses would have the following GPA:
    • A X 3 credits = 4 X 3 = 12 honor points
    • B X 3 credits = 3 X 3 = 9 honor points
    • C X 3 credits = 2 X 3 = 6 honor points
    • D X 3 credits = 1 X 3 = 3 honor points
    • Total = 12 credits = 30 honor points = 30 honor points/12 credits = 2.50 GPA

Students who wish to calculate their GPA, may also use an online GPA calculator.

Incomplete Grades
Students who have been attending a course, have done satisfactory work, and have a reason that is satisfactory to the instructor may be assigned an "I", which stands for incomplete, for a specific course. Instructors will work with students to determine a deadline to complete the course. Students should view the entire policy for incomplete grades in the online Undergraduate Catalog under Academic Information - Grading System.

Midterm Deficiencies
Faculty members are required to report a midterm grade for each student. Letters will be sent to students with deficient grades. Ds, Fs, and Us are considered deficient grades. Students access their midterm grades in Campus Connection. Students receiving midterm deficiencies are encouraged to seek assistance from their instructors or other support services on the campus available to them. As a last resort, students have the option of dropping the course, following course drop procedures and published deadlines. Note: Midterm grades are not a part of the student’s official record, and they will not appear on the student’s transcript.

Student Classification
Students are classified by year according to the number of credits earned as follows:

  • Freshman, 0-23 credits
  • Sophomore, 24-59 credits
  • Junior, 60-89 credits
  • Senior, 90 or more