The Staff Senate has established committees which are responsible to the Senate and perform duties determined by the Senate and/or Executive Committee. All Senators are eligible to serve on any Staff Senate Committee(s). The following is a list of the committees and a brief description of each as outlined in the Staff Senate Bylaws:
- ByLaws: Reviews, suggests and makes amendments to the bylaws.
- Election: Rules on questions relating to qualifications of electors and members, nominates and receives nominations, presents a slate of nominees, and conducts the elections.
- Legislative: Provides Staff Senate with information regarding legislative activity placing particular emphasis on issues affecting higher education and MSU staff. The committee depends on feedback from the Staff Senate to propose and initiate a coordinated effort as a result of the given information.
- Program: Investigates topics and speakers for Staff Senate meetings and forwards their recommendations to the Executive Committee for consideration.
- Scholarship: Designs, updates, and disseminates application forms for the Classified Staff Scholarship, and selects recipients on an annual basis.
- Professional Development: Identifies programs and activities that will provide personal and professional growth opportunities for University staff. In identifying programs, the committee will assess the needs and wants of staff through questionnaires and surveys.
The Staff Senate has also added the following committees which serve in a variety of capacities: Orientation, Loss Control, Homecoming Picnic/Parade Float, and NDUS Staff Senate.
2014-2015 Staff Senate Committee Members
Bylaws & Legislative
Fall Kick-off Subcommittees:
Staff Senate representation on other governing bodies or institutional committees.
NDUS Staff Senate representative (and two alternates): Linda Benson, Steve Swenson, Devin McCall
Faculty Senate Representative (non-voting): Rebecca Porter
Student Government Association Representative (non-voting): Linda Benson
Loss Control Committee representative: TBN
Staff representation on institutional committees [not limited to a senator].
Sustainability Committee: Devin McCall
Information Technology Advisory Committee representative: Tyler Schmaltz
Parking Appeals Committee: Steve Swenson
Compensation Task Force: Darla Weigel
Planning and Budgeting Council: Darla Weigel and Linda Benson
Landscaping Committee: Rebecca Porter