Mission: To deliberate on current and future issues with the intention of ensuring the university’s vitality and competitiveness.
Meetings: Every week on Tuesday; 8:30-11:45; and as needed to address specific issues
Membership: Administrators reporting directly to the president; chaired by president
Processes: no minutes; informal agenda solicited from members; order of dialogue is determined by topics and issues raised by individual members; consensus sought; future oriented; presentation of new ideas, creative solutions to problems, and opportunities; share articles and research on current developments and new ideas.
Principles: open and honest deliberation; non-judgmental; strict confidentiality; creative; professional; trust and mutual support; decisions are supported and explained externally
- Participate in dialogue about current issues and topics; examine, debate, present multiple perspectives, test ideas and opinions; seek common understanding of similar and differing opinions.
- Discussion of external issues and developments affecting MSU and higher education
- Present informational updates on key topics affecting MSU
- Review events in the weekly calendar; review longer-term schedule for key events and deadlines requiring attention and action.
- Deliberates on and eventually makes recommendations to the president requiring decisions on major initiatives, proposals, changes, and specific controversies/issues impacting entire campus (e.g., budget, fees, tuition).
- Receives and reviews institutional budget information at least once per month.
- Makes decisions following appropriate constituency input, review of institutional data, and deliberation; Plan constituency communication and broader-campus input and discussion
- Remains attentive to and focused on strategic planning goals, objectives, and timelines.
- Receives recommendations from Budgeting and Planning Council