Toll Free: (800)777-0750 ext. 3371
MSU Counseling Services mission is to empower and advocate for the studentís personal and educational development through short-term counseling and educational outreach.
We want your experiences here to be positive and growth promoting. Personal counseling services provide free, confidential consultation, brief short term intervention and referral. Counseling sessions are kept in strict confidence within legal and ethical limits. No information about you will be released outside of the Counseling Office without your permission. The EXCEPTIONS to confidentiality include:
- The counselor determines you are a threat to yourself or another person.
- There is suspected or actual abuse or neglect of a child, an elderly, or disabled person.
- There is a medical emergency.
- Records are subpoenaed in the court of law.
The goal of Counseling Services is to help students develop effective solutions and decision making capabilities in order to return to their normal functioning as soon as possible. In situations where the problems are more long standing, referrals can be provided for services within the local community.
Counseling Services provide help for people who are experiencing emotional problems that interfere with their work, school, or personal lives. Some typical difficulties that studentís bring to counseling:
- Excessive anxiety for no apparent reason
- Prolonged feelings of despair, unhappiness, or hopelessness
- Withdrawal or lack of interest in daily activities
- Sudden shifts in mood and/or behavior
- An unusual amount of irritability or suspiciousness towards other
- Eating or sleeping differently
- Drinking too much or using/abusing drugs
- Physical, sexual, emotional abuse by others.
- Thinking about suicide
Location: Student Health and Development Center in the lower level of Lura Manor, south door; 500 University Ave W, Minot ND 58707
Hours: Services are available fall spring and summer semester, Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Appointments preferred. Emergency walk-ins will receive priority and be addressed immediately.