General Admissions Criteria
The Social Work Admission Committee has the responsibility to review Student Admission Application packets for acceptance into the program.
Decisions for admission to the social work program are based on the following criteria:
- Successful completion of SWK 256, SWK 255, and SWK 200;
- Successful completion of required prerequisites as outlined above:
- ENGL 110 College Composition I
- ENGL 120 College Composition II
- BIOL 115 Human Structure and Function
- Psych 111 Introduction to Psychology
- SOC 111 Introduction to Sociology
- POLS 115 American Government
- ECON 201 Principles of Microeconomics OR
- ECON 202 Principles of Macroeconomics;
- Second semester sophomore standing or higher (minimum 32 credits);
- A social work grade point average of 2.50 or better for the three required social work courses and/or other social work courses completed at time of application to admission. The requirements for the BSW degree specify a 2.50 grade point average in all social work courses.
- Overall grade point of 2.00 which is consistent with the MSU requirement of 2.00 in all departments for graduation.
- Satisfactory review of the completed Admissions Application packet.
- Personal interview with the Admissions Committee; Click here to see Admissions Committee Considerations
- Successful completion and evaluation of a minimum of 50 hours of experience in a community service setting (taken in conjunction with SWK 200 or by arrangement for transfer students).
- Applicant demonstration of the following:
- The potential to effectively engage in social work practice;
- Personal behavior, ethics and values which illustrate acceptance of and compliance with the NASW Code of Ethics; and
- Potential for eligibility for licensure by the North Dakota Board of Social Work Examiners.
Admissions packets are available online through the "admission" link, top left of this page.