Small Research Grants
Grants awarded from past years
Fall 2011 Awards
- Dr. Kodwo Annan, Department of Math and Computer Science, Determinants of Binge-Drinking Behavior using TPB and External Factors such as Older Siblings and Parents
- Dr. Ann Beste-Gulborg, Department of Communication Disorders, Attitudes towards Cluttering & Stuttering: Perceptions of Undergraduate Communications Students
- Micah Bloom, Division of Humanities, Art Department, Ex Libris--Recovery and Interment of the Lost Book.
- Dr. Jynette Larshus, Department of Sociology, Tensions of Transformation in Snowboarding Culture: From Lifestyle Sporting Activity to Legitimate Occupation.
- Audra Myerchin, Department of Broadcasting, Minot State University Students and Crisis Response.
- Dr. Alexey Shipunov, Division of Biology, Historical Flood Damage to the Trees of Minot.
- Dr. ShaunAnne Tangney, Division of Humanities, Researching the Archives at Tor House.
- Dr. Deb Jensen, Director, CASCLS, and Dr. Lisa Borden-King, Department of Teacher Education and Human Performance, Exploring Eye Tracing Differences in Struggling Readers Who Exhibit Difficulties with Visual Closure and Bilateral Coordination, and Controls Without Those Characteristics.
- Dr. Bryan Schmidt, Division of Science, Mode of action studies of novel and classic fungicides.
- Dr. Ernst Pijning, Department of History/Division of Social Science, Forbidden Connections: International Gold and Diamond Smuggling in the Eighteenth-Century Atlantic.
Spring 2011 Awards
- Dr. Deanna Klein, Department of Business Information Technology, Understanding Strategies Used to Prepare University Students for Multi-Cultural Business and Technology Environments.
- Dr. Jaimie M. McMullen, Department of Teacher Education and Human Performance, Promoting Student Ownership in a Non-Traditional Physical Education Teacher Education Internship Course
- Linda Olson, MFA, Division of Humanities, Rock Art Documentation in the Coal Draw and Meeteetse Ridge Areas
- Dr. Rebecca Anhorn, Department of Teacher Education and Human Performance, and Dr. Cheryl Nilsen, Department of Mathematics and Computer Science, The Experiences of Co-Teachers in Mathematics.
- Dr. Kodwo Annan, Department of Mathematics and Computer Science, Undergraduate Mathematics Modeling Training Program for Interdisciplinary Research in Biological, Medical, and Physical Sciences.
- Dr. Becky Brodell, Department of Nursing, An Assessment of the Group Caring Environment in Nursing.
- Dr. Shirley Cole-Harding, Dr. Rita Curl-Langager, Dr. Paul Markel, and Dr. Deb Olson, Department of Addiction Studies/Psychology/Social Work, Neuroscience Research Using EEG: Pilot Studies.
- Dr. Jynette Larshus, Division of Social Science, Tensions of Transformation in Snowboarding Culture: From Lifestyle Sporting Activity to Legitimate Occupation.
- Dr. Patricia Lomire, Division of Social Science, The Glass Ceiling in Criminology Textbooks: Myth or Reality?
- Dr. Daniel Ngugi, Division of Social Science, Placing Dollar Values on Roosevelt Recreational Park.
- Dr. Bryan Schmidt, Division of Science, Analysis of a Potential Allosteric Disulfide Bond in the Protein Cytochrome c Oxidase.
- Dr. Chelsea Starr, Division of Social Science, Transnational Activism Against Femicide in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico.
Spring 2010 Awards
- Dr. Lisa Borden-King, Department of Teacher Education and Human Performance, and Dr. Shirley Cole-Harding, Department of Addiction Studies/Psychology/Social Work, Effects of Contrasting Colors for Text/Background on Reading Fluency and Accuracy in College Students with and without Reading Disabilities.
- Dr. Cheryl Gerard and Ms. Cassandra Meyer, Department of Communication Disorders, Effects of 50-vs 100-Utterance Language Sample on MLU Scores of Children with ASD.
- Dr. Lesley Magnus and Ms. Meagan Guest, Department of Communication Disorders, The Hodson Cycles Approach to Phonological Remediation.
- Dr. John Morrow, Division of Humanities, Shi’Ite Traditions from Islamic Spain.
- Ms. Lisa Roteliuk, Dr. Cheryl Gerard, and Ms. Beth McAleer, Department of Communication Disorders, Effects of Facial Feature Checklist on the Recognition of Emotion in Children with ASD.
- Dr. Bethany Andreasen, Department of History, Social Science Division, "Normal Schools and the Northern Great Plains in the Twentieth Century: An International Perspective."
- Dr. Alexandra Deufel, Department of Biology, "Exploration of feeding mechanics in a diverse assemblage of opistholgyph snakes."
- Bill Harbort, Department of Art, Humanities Division, "The Great Great Plains Goes Pop!"
- Stephen Hayton, Department of Mathematics and Computer Science; Cathy Horvath, ITC; and Roger Kluck, Plant Services, "A study of power consumptions, heat creation, dissipation, cooling and aero-dynamic airflow of various computer workstations used at MSU using typical system, application, and benchmark systems."
- Stephen Hayton, Department of Mathematics and Computer Science; Scott Kast, Department of Mathematics and Computer Science; Dr. Paul Lepp, Department of Biology; Dr. Selmer Moen, Department of Mathematics and Computer Science; Dr. Bryan Schmidt, Division of Science; Darrin Seifert, NDCPD, "Developing several proofs of concept and prototype software programming algorithms which will allow Minot State University to conduct simplified targeted searches of standard open source DNA data sets."
- Dr. Bryan Schmidt, Division of Science, "Stereosgraphic Analysis of Potential Allosteric Disulfide Bond Rotamers in Proteins."
- Dr. James Ondracek, Department of Business Administration, "Group Composition Based on the MBTI and the Resulting Influence on Group Decision Making."
- Deborah Townsend, Department of Nursing, "Quality of Life as Perceived by Rural Dwellers with a Serious Mental Illness."
- Dr. Maila Zitelli, German Program, Humanities Division, "Archival Research to Seek Corroboration on Findings of Parody in Censured Cold War authors Manfred Bieler, Anna Seghers, and Ludvik Askenazy."
- Dr. Lisa Borden-King, Teacher Education and Human Performance, "Addressing visual-spatial disturbance in word solving difficulties involving left-right print processing impairment using virtual processing rehabilitation paired with strategic reading instruction"
- Elizabeth Brodell, Nursing, "Technology and Caring in Nursing Education and Practice"
- Andy Bertsch, Business Administration, "Exploring Perceptions of Values in U.S. Managers: interstate Cross-Cultural Differences and Similarities within the U. S.A."
- Linda Haider and Judith Swanson, Nursing, "Comparison of Student Satisfaction and Master of Knowledge between On-line and On-ground Students in HMS 243, Pathophysiology"
- Steve Hayton (Math and Computer Science), Dr. Paul Lepp (Biology), Dr. Selmer Moen, (Math and Computer Science), and Dr. Bryan Schmidt (Science), "Development of Two Low Cost Experimental Distributive Computer Prototypes to Support STEM Research and Teaching (such as Biochemistry, Bioinformatics, Computer Science, Mathematics, and Statistical Studies) at Minot State University"
- Kathy Hintz, Teacher Education and Human Performance, "History Alive! In the Classroom"
- Dr. Ron Jutila, Science, "New Quality Assurance and Calibration Phantom for MRI Scanners"
- Dr. Stewart Kelly, Philosophy, "Truth, Objectivity, and Postmodernism"
- Dr. Lesley Magnus and Mary Huston, Communication Disorders, "A Comparison of Subjective and Objective Intelligibility Measures in Preschoolers"
- Dr. Paul Markel and Dr. Deb Olson, Addiction Studies/Psychology/Social Work, "Development of a prototype for a precision tactile-transmitter device"
- Dr. Ernst Pijning, History, "Getting Lost in the Land of Opportunity: The Nederlandsche Handel-Maatschappij in Brazil"
- Dr. Heidi Super, Biology, "A Study of Chromatin Structure in the Myeloid-Lymphoid Leukemia (MLL) Gene Translocation Breakpoint Cluster Region"
- Dr. Ryan Winburn, Science, "Pilot Program for an Undergraduate Mentorship Program in Research Focusing on the X-Ray Diffraction of Materials"
- Ms. Becky Barcomb, Teacher Education and Human Performance, "Secondary First Year Teachers' Experiences."
- Dr. Lisa Borden-King, Teacher Education and Human Performance, "Defining Dyslexia: An Analysis of the Role of Laterality, Balance, and Visual-Spatial Disturbance in Word Solving Difficulties Involving Left-Right Print Processing Impairment."
- Dr. Shirley Cole-Harding, Addiction Studies, Psychology, and Social Work, "Group Testing in Alcohol Research: Does it matter if everyone gets the same dose?"
- Dr. Shirley Cole-Harding, Ms. Debra DeWitz, Dr. Vicki Michels, and Dr. Deborah Olson, Addiction Studies, Psychology, and Social Work, "Energy Drinks: What's the Big Deal?"
- Dr. Shyamal Kumar Das, Social Science, "Economic Reforms, Cultural Values, Political Institutions, and Regional Distinctiveness: Determinants of Sex Trafficking Network as a Global Commodity Chain."
- Dr. Alan Ekblad, Special Education, "Adapting Curriculum to Meet All Children's Needs (ACMACN)."
- Dr. John Girard, Business Information Technology, "Continuing the Quest: An Examination of Information Anxiety Amongst Job Corps Managers."
- Dr. Paul Lepp, Biology, "Gene Flow and Parapatric Speciation in Bacteria."
- Dr. Ursula Schittko, Biology, "Gene Flow Across the Bering Sea: In Search of the Eurasian Parents of the North American Hybrid Succulent Rhodiola Integrifolia."
- Dr. Heidi Super, Biology, "Analysis of Protein Binding in the MLL Translocation Breakpoint Region."
- Dr. Brent Askvig, NDCPD, "Cultural and Service Variances Between Northern Norwegian and North Dakota Institutions for Persons with Mental Retardation."
- Dr. Robert Crackel, Chemistry, "Development of Methods Using a Gas Chromatograph-Mass Spectrometer for Determining Concentrations of Substances Present at Clandestine Drug Laboratory Sites."
- Dr. Shyamal Kumar Das, Sociology, "Economic Reforms, Cultural Values, Political Institutions, and Regional Distinctiveness: Factors in Corruption ."
- Dr. Conrad Davidson, Humanities, "Creative Writing: Writing a Mystery Play."
- Mr. Guy Hanley, Science, "Digital Imaging of California cerambycidae Fauna" and "Faunal Analysis of Prairie Coleoptera Collected During an Enclosed Drift Fence Herpetological Study."
- Dr. Chad Heinzel, Geoscience, "An interdisciplinary quest for an Elymian (Iron Age) prehistoric kiln site in Western Sicily."
- Dr. Steve Huenneke, Economics, "Thorstein Veblen and Titanic: A Metaphorical Excursion."
- Dr. Robert Kibler, English, The Divine Process of Creating Beauty: The Islamic Philosopher Averroes and the Developing Aesthetic Theroies of the American Poet Ezra Pound."
- Dr. Thomas Linares & Johnna Westby, Communication Disorders, "Self-Regulation Training for Children with Learning and Behavioral Challenges."
- Drs. Deb Olson & Paul Markel, Psychology, "Short-term Memory Characteristics of Tactile-Spatial Memory."
- Dr. Ursula Schittko, Biology, "Gene Expression in Nectaries of Gender-Dimorphic Plant Species Rhodiola Rosea L."
- Dr. Paul Sims, Chemistry, "Catalytic and Structural Studies of Glycerate."
- Drs. Shirley Cole-Harding & Vicki Michels, Addiction Studies, "Reducing Physician Error."
- Dr. Robert Crackel, Chemistry, "Development of Methods for Determining Concentrations of Lithium and Ammonia at Clandestine Drug Laboratory Sites."
- Dr. Terry Echmann, Teacher Education/Human Performance, "Training Effects of Two Exercise Programs on Women 40 to 70 Years of Age."
- Dr. Chad Heinzel, Geoscience, "An Integrated (GIS) Approach Linking the Physical and Cultural Environments: An Analysis of Ancient Cultures of North Dakota."
- Dr. Paul Lepp, Biology, " Fixation Genes in Oral Bacteria."
- Linda Olson, M.F.A., Art, "Rock Art Inventory: The Location of Additional Rock Art Sites in the Meeteetsee Draw Rock Art Special Managment Area in Wyoming."
- Dr. Daniel Ringrose, History, "Exploring the Archives of Esternay: Social Networks, Education, and Family Power in the 19th Century."
- Dr. Michelle Sauer, English, "Companion to Pre-1600 British Poetry (edited collection.
- Dr. Ryan Winburn, Chemistry, "X-ray Diffraction of Complex Materials: Applications and Errors."
- Dr. Conrad Davidson, Humanities, "A Language-Based Approach to Playwriting."
- Dr. Alexandra Deufel, Biology, "Kinematics of the Predatory Strike of an Unusual Elapid Snake that is Convergent on Vipers."
- Dr. Terry Eckmann, Teacher Education/Human Performance, "Training Effects of Three Exercise Programs with Various Education and Group Support Components on Women 4- to 60 Years of Age."
- Dr. Lee Ellis, Social Science, "Sourcebook for Male-Female Differences."
- Dr. Chad Heinzel, Geosciences, "Determining Provenance of Anthropogenic Source Materaials in the Trapani Region, Western Sicily."
- Dr. Karland Kilian, Physics, "Computer Modeling of Exchange Bias in Ferromagnetic-Antiferromagnetic Bilayers."
- Dr. Allen Kilm, Science, "Latest Cretaceous Vertebrates from Vega and James Ross Inlands Antartica."
- Dr. Greg Machek, Psychology, "Practicing School PSychologists' Readiness for a Response to Intervention Model in Assessing Reading Disabilities in Public Schools."
- Linda Olson, M.F.A., Art, "Rock Art Inventory: The Location of Additional Rock Art Sites in the Meeteetsee Draw Rock Art SPecial Managment area of Wyoming."
- Dr. Ron Royer, Science, "Continued Research on Odd-Year Butterflies in the East-Central Canadian Artic During Summer 2005."
- Dr. Michelle Sauer, Humanities, "Continued Studies in Solitary Spirituality."
- Dr. Heidi Super, Biology, "Study of the mechanism of Chromosome Breakage and Translocation Involvign the MLL Gene in Human Acute Leukemia."
- Dr. Ryan Winburn, Science, "X-ray Diffraction of Materials."
- Dr. Ryan Winburn, Science, "Certification of Standard Reference Materials for Quantitative X-Ray Diffraction.
- Dr. Robert Crackel, Chemistry, "An Investigation of the Factors Influencing the Concentration of Lead in Drinking Water.
- Dr. Rita Curl, Psychology, "Adulthood: An Introduction."
- Dr. Lee Ellis, Social Science, "Sourcebook for Male-Female Differences: Findings from Over a Century of Scientific Research."
- Dr. Cheryl Gerard, Communication Disorders, Teaching Teleconferencing to Adults with Cognitive Disabilities"
- Heather Golly, Teacher Education & Human Performance, "Effects on Performing the Bench Press on An Activity Ball and on a flat Bench on Surface EMG Activity of the Core Stabilizer Muscles."
- Drs. Christopher Keller & Rick Barkosky, Biology, "Do allelochemicals inhibit plant growth through effects on root cell membrane transport?"
- Linda Olson, M.F.A., Art, "Rock Art Documentation: The Creation of Final Reports for Coal Draw and Meeteetsee Ridge Sites."
- Dr. Michelle Sauer, English, "Studies in East Anglia"
- Dr. Heidi Super, Biology, "Mechanism of chromosome translocation in human acute leukemia: Analysis of chromatin-protein interactions in the MLL translocation breakpoint region"
- Dr. Jonathan Wagner, History, "German Migration to Canada, 1850-1939."
- Dr. John Webster, Geosciences, "Characterization of Complex Mixtures Using Rietveld Quantitative X-Ray Diffraction Analysis: Basic Research and Applications to Geologic Materials.