How to Read Online
While taking MSU Online courses, you will be challenged to read many articles and books. You will also have to read numerous pages within the World Wide Web. Your task is to find the right time and right place to read your materials. A quiet environment where you can concentration and take good notes is essential to your success. Lastly, you will have to read supplemental materials within your course your lectures.
Many of our students find out they are not "screen readers" and that they have to print their material in order to deal with it. MSU Online has provided you with a tool to accomplish simply. It is called compile. With this feature the student can print all or part of their course.
When reading online:
- You want the area well lighted and your screen without reflection
- You donít want to spend hours at your computer, so go at your work in smaller "chunks of information"
- Remember, the data isnít necessarily perishable like in the classroom. You can return to the same page after a short break
- Keep your note taking material in a comfortable position near by
- Keep distractions at a minimum
- Use the bread crumb bar and Action menu to page through your text
- Make sure your Internet screen is maximized so your course fills the entire screen
- When you donít understand something, ask your fellow students, and when all else fails, ask the instructor