Skip to content
Office of International Programs

Canadian - Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need to purchase American health insurance?
No. Canadians are not required to purchase additional insurance. However, students are strongly urged to purchase additional coverage. Your basic provincial health card will cover you for emergencies. There are charges and fees and deductibles for services in the U.S. If students do not have additional coverage they will have to drive to Canada for non-emergency procedures.

Another option that students use is their parentsí health plans, many of which cover dependents. There are also very affordable plans that are available for purchase in Canada for students attending university in the U.S.

Minot State University provides several health services which are available for all students in its Student Health Center.

Do I have to do anything before I bring my car down to the U.S.?
Yes, students may bring their vehicle. However, it is strongly recommended students make sure they check with their insurance provider about the rules and regulations about having a car in the U.S. It is also encouraged for students to look into package policies to make sure they have a sufficient amount of liability coverage in the event of an accident.

Any advice on what I should do with my money?
Students are able to access money from their local Canadian banks and credit unions if they follow these two steps. 1) Contact your financial institution to see about opening an American checking account. 2) Check to see if they have a branch location or partner in the U.S. that allows them to transfer funds to the American financial institution. When you arrive for school, contact that partner or branch bank or credit union in Minot and request a "totally free" checking account.

This free checking account provides students with checks, a debit card and access to their funds in their Canadian financial institution. No Social Security number or tax payer ID number is required In order to obtain a checking account in the U.S. If a student wishes to open an American savings account, they must have either a Social Security number or a tax payer ID number.

Any advice on cell phones?
Many Canadians bring their phones thinking this is the best option. However, this could end up being costly. Students are recommended to talk to their cell phone provider about surcharges and roaming fees associated with having a phone in the U.S.

Talk to your cell phone provider about a "North America" plan or look at a options in the U.S. Minot has several American national providers such as AT&T and Verizon Wireless. There is also a local company called SRT which offers calling plans. If you donít want to be tied down to long-term contracts there are "Pay As You Go" options students can pursue at Wal-Mart, Target and other retailers.

Am I allowed to work in the US?
Yes, students can work in the U.S. However, there are restrictions. All students on their F1 Student Visa are allowed to work on campus. Students can only work off campus after their first year of schooling. The type of work obtained must pertain to their major, no exceptions.

International students working on campus are allowed to work a maximum of 20 hours per week while school is in session. During the summer months, when school is not in session, students are allowed to work 40 hours a week. Students who are authorized to work off campus in a field related to their major, may work more than 40 hours per week.

Students are encouraged to stop by the International Office for a full list of details on employment requirements.