News and Information
What to do if you are served with legal papers in which you are sued for something you did as a state employee or state volunteer:
- Write down the specific date you received the legal papers and who gave them to you.
- Contact the Risk Management Coordinator (6-3352) and the Office of the Attorney General IMMEDIATELY.
- Give written notice of the lawsuit to the Risk Management Coordinator and the Office of the Attorney General WITHIN 10 DAYS of being served with the legal papers.
- If you want to be represented by a lawyer employed and paid by the State to represent you, the law requires you to give written request for defense to the Risk Management Coordinator and the Office of the Attorney General within 10 days of being served with the legal papers. If you want this representation, it is best if you make this request immediately.
- Be prepared to give your attorney the legal papers with which you were served and relevant background information.
- To qualify for representation by a state attorney, you must provide cooperation and complete disclosure throughout the defense of the case.
Please contact the Risk Management Coordinator for more information.