Open Positions - Available Executive Staff Positions
Minot State University is built upon a core commitment to students, learning, service, and cooperation, and upon respect for people and place. Our Vision 2013 is a vision for the future of Minot State University to help people appreciate life and learning and contribute meaningfully to the lives of others.
Position: Athletic Director
Position #12838, Job Family 0115
12-month position, 100% FTE
Deadline: Screening begins on May 16, 2016
General Summary: The Director of Athletics at Minot State University is responsible for the administration and development of a comprehensive, competitive, and respected intercollegiate athletic program, to include all aspects of personnel, budget, operations, facilities management, student-athlete participation, and intercollegiate team competitions. The Director of Athletics reports directly to the MSU President, and is responsible for administering the program in a manner consistent with the rules, regulations, and requirements of the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC) and NCAA as well as the mission and policies of the university. MSU competes at the NCAA Division II level in the highly competitive NSIC.
- Administration. Provides effective direction and supervision of the administration of the men's and women's athletic programs including operational, budget, and business functions of the Athletic Department according to applicable policies, procedures, rules, and regulations of the State Board of Higher Education, ND University System, MSU, NSIC and NCAA.
- Sets forth funding requirements and monitors budget and expenses
- Serves on various committees to represent the Athletic Department and the Department's interests
- Member of President's Staff and University Cabinet
- Athletic Programs
- Oversees the recruitment process of student athletes and ensures successful recruiting in the dimensions of academic qualifications and athletic ability
- Works together with the Faculty Representative and the Assistant AD for Compliance and Student Life to monitor the academic progress of student athletes to ensure continued eligibility
- Provide leadership for the coaching staff and athletic administrative staff. Recruit, hire, supervise/mentor and evaluate coaches for the various athletic programs including Football, Basketball (men/women), Volleyball (women), Baseball, Track (men/women), Cross-Country (men/women), Softball, Wrestling, and Golf (men/women)
- Represent the University at conference and national meetings and oversee the scheduling of all athletic events
- Oversees preparations for athletic events. Ensure event management is handled safely and properly.
- Develop, coordinate and lead the Athletic Department's fundraising activities. In cooperation with the Office of Advancement, identify and cultivate alumni, campus, business, community and professional organization support.
- Annually set and meet fundraising goals for each sport.
- Serve as an ex-officio member of the Beaver Booster Board of Directors.
- Enrollment Management Services. Coordinates with the EMS function regarding recruitment efforts of student athletes
- Plant Services. Coordinates with Plant Services for the maintenance and set up of athletic facilities
- Student Activities. Coordinates with Student Activities to facilitate the Cheer team and dance team participation at athletic events
- Fulfills defined responsibilities for the position and sets strategic annual professional goals and objectives.
- Participates actively as a team member of President's Staff and University Cabinet.
- Monitors the work performance of staff, clearly communicates expectations and responsibilities, conducts evaluations, and takes corrective actions as necessary.
- Provides professional development opportunities for staff, and orients staff to university practices, procedures, and policies.
- Ensures an inclusive and participatory working climate in which staff members are empowered and free to express themselves in a non-threatening environment, promoting civility, creativity, and professionalism.
- Follows established policies and practices.
- Responds to supervisory instructions and guidelines in a timely and responsible manner.
- Meets all expectations for university staff members' professional conduct.
Accountable for the following first-level reports:
- Asst Coaches
- Athletics Business Manager
- Associate Athletic Director of Compliance and Student Life
- Associate Athletic Director of Development
- Assistant Athletic Director for Media Relations
- Administrative Assistant
- Bachelor's degree required
- Coaching experience
- Marketing/Fundraising experience
- Administrative management experience
- Outstanding communication skills and interpersonal skills and an ability to work well with diverse populations
- Master's or advanced degree from an accredited institution strongly preferred.
- Experience advising student athletes
- College athletics administrative experience
Other Significant Characteristics:
- Be an individual with high integrity and principles, and work ethic
- Endorse the principles of shared governance, inclusive and research-based decision making
- Possess a philosophy that is aligned with the institutional mission and core values, and possess the ability to work constructively and fairly with faculty, student, staff, and other stakeholders of the University.
- Possess a "can-do" attitude, approach problems and issues objectively, responsibly, while exploring cooperatively options and solutions
- Possess the abilities to provide effective leadership and to facilitate effective long-term strategic planning guided by a clear vision
- Provide responsible supervision and support of employees
- Make high-quality judgments and decisions based upon institutional data and input
- Have the ability to manage fiscal and human resources effectively, fairly, and positively
- Be experienced interacting with auditors, government officials, and legislators
- Be active professionally and aware of current developments in professional arenas, with the experience or interest in becoming an active participant in professional organizations
- Be willing to be an active and visible participant in the life of the University and the greater community.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements.
Salary: Commensurate with experience plus benefits (Benefits include health insurance w/premiums paid, employer-funded retirement plan, & paid annual and sick leave)
To Apply: Submit MSU application, resume, and references to:
Human Resources Office|
Minot State University
500 University Avenue West
Minot, ND 58707
3rd Floor, Administration Bldg
Minot State University is a state-supported institution of higher education with an enrollment of approximately 3800 students. The university is organized into three colleges-Arts and Sciences, Business, and Education and Health Sciences and the Graduate School. Bachelor's degrees are offered in more than 40 fields, master's degrees in 12, and one specialist degree.
Minot State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and subscribes to the laws and regulations prohibiting discrimination based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, disability, age, or any other prescribed category. MSU applies Veteran's Preference Laws. Inquiries or complaints regarding equal employment, educational opportunities, or the affirmative action program should be directed to the Affirmative Action Office.