Graduate School Citation for Excellence
The Citation for Excellence is awarded by the Graduate School in recognition of outstanding achievements by students completing graduate programs at MSU. Students selected for this honor will exemplify excellence in areas consistent with the mission of the MSU Graduate School including critical inquiry, creativity, discovery, and leadership.
Graduate program directors may submit nominations for the Citation of Excellence in the form of a letter to the Dean of the Graduate School. Supporting documentation and other evidence describing achievements beyond typical expectations should accompany the letter of nomination. This information should be filed in the Graduate School Office by March 23, 2009.
Nominees will be reviewed by a committee* of the Graduate Council who will award the Citations of Excellence based on the criteria specified below. The number of Citations awarded each year will be at the discretion of the committee and will reflect the qualifications of the pool of nominees.
The Graduate School will release the names of recipients of this award to the graduate programs by April 15, 2009.
Those students nominated for the award must meet ONE of the following enrollment criteria.
- Currently enrolled in a graduate program
- Applied for graduation, or
- Completed the degree within two semesters of the semester in which they were nominated.
In addition, nominees must meet all the following nomination criteria:
- Have a continuous cumulative GPA of at least 3.75 for required courses in their major,
- Provide documented evidence of superior accomplishments during the studentís program of study at MSU which "extend beyond the usual expectations" of the respective graduate programs.
Examples of superior accomplishments which exceed the usual expectations of the graduate program may include, but are not limited to:
- an exemplary thesis or original research project;
- exemplary field applications (experiences) appropriate to the domain;
- professional presentations, publications or similar contributions which stem from work completed in the masterís degree at a state, regional or national level;
- exemplary leadership in the profession at a state, regional or national level;
- exemplary service demonstrating critical inquiry, creativity, discovery, or leadership at the university, state, regional or national level;
- other documented achievements which extend beyond the typical expectations of the studentís graduate program.
Examples of accomplishments within the usual expectations of a studentís graduate program include
- completion of a good thesis or research project;
- satisfactory completion of assigned GTA duties;
- GPA over 3.75 without other achievements, etc.
Students selected for this award will receive a plaque from the Graduate School and will be recognized during the Graduate School hooding ceremony which is held prior to commencement on each year.
*The Citation of Excellence Committee will consist of five members selected from and approved by the Graduate Council. Membership will include the Dean of the Graduate School and when possible, a student representative to the Graduate Council. The remaining committee members will be selected from the Graduate Council at large.