What is CLEP?
CLEP is based on the premise that some individuals enrolling in college have already learned part of what is taught in college courses through non-credit adult courses, job training, independent reading and study, and advanced high school courses. From these experiences CLEP offers the opportunity to demonstrate college level learning by taking exams that access the knowledge and skill taught in college courses. At Minot State University, any student may attempt to earn credit through CLEP. Below are some questions and answers you may have regarding CLEP along with MSU policies regarding CLEP testing.
- Which CLEP exams are accepted by Minot State University? What courses apply to each exam? How many semester hour credits are applied to the exam? What is the minimum score required?
Visit Minot State University CLEP Subject Examinations
- Does Minot State University require the optional free-response (essay) section for exams in composition and literature as well as the multiple-choice portion of the CLEP exam you are considering?
Yes. Minot State University does not accept the College Composition Modular test.
- What is Minot State University’s policy regarding prior course work in the subject in which you are considering taking a CLEP exam?
Minot State University will not replace the previously taken course work but credit will be applied.
- Does Minot State University require any additional stipulations before credit will be granted?
There are no addition stipulations before credit is granted other than being a currently enrolled student at the time you take the test.
- How will taking a CLEP exam affect graduation requirements?
The S/U grading option is used to transcript nationally recognized academic tests such as the College Level Examination Program (CLEP), Advancement Placement (AP), and the American Council on Education (ACE). Credits earned through CLEP exams do not carry a letter grade or honor point values, nor are they considered credits earned in residence. While individual test scores may be transcribed at the University, it is the student's responsibility to ensure fulfillment of a program requirement through the department/division chair. Such credits posted to the Minot State University transcript may not transfer to other institutions.
- Does Minot State University place a limit on the total amount of CLEP credit you can earn toward your degree?
We will apply as many S/U credits from an outside source (including CLEP) toward a baccalaureate degree as long as a student earns 60 credits from a four year institution and meets the residency requirements of 30 credits earned through MSU.
CLEP for Military Personnel
College-Level Examination Program® (CLEP®) exams are available to eligible military personnel as a way to save time and money while earning college credit. To assist military personnel in meeting their educational goals, the Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES) funds CLEP exams for eligible military service members and eligible civilian employees. To find out more visit DANTES on the web or contact your Education Services Officer.
CLEP Exam Registration Process
Print and complete the CLEP REGISTRATION FORM [pdf]. Send it along with the non-refundable $20 MSU Fee to the Center for Extended Learning (address is listed on the registration form). You will receive a confirmation e-mail once your registration form has been received.
CLEP tests are administered on Tuesday's starting at 1:00pm, Wednesday's starting at 1:00pm, and Friday's starting at 1:00pm. Seven testing stations are available for CLEP exams so when scheduling, please choose an alternate date in the event your first selection is no longer available.
Arrive at the ACT Testing Center 15 minutes early to check in for your test. MSU's ACT Center is located on the 3rd floor of the Administration Building, room #361.
Bring two forms of identification. One form of ID must be government issued and must bear your photograph and signature. You cannot test without presenting ID.
Bring the $80 CLEP Fee with you to the testing appointment. CLEP payments can only be paid by check (payable to the College-Level Examination Program), money order, or major credit card (preferred). No cash or student account charges will be accepted.
What to Expect
- Check in at the ACT Testing Center located on the third floor of the Administration Building with your Photo ID and copy of your Registration Admission Form.
- Personal belongings such as back packs, books, and notes will not be allowed in the testing room. There are lockers available to store those items if needed.
- Electronic devices such as cell phones or pagers must be turned off and stored in a locker or in a designated area with the testing center staff.
- Calculators are not allowed. If one is required, it is built into the testing software and available to you on the computer.
- Scratch paper and pencils will be provided by the test center.
If you need to cancel or reschedule a testing appointment please notify our office a minimum of two business days prior to your test. Cancellations will forfeit the $20 MSU fee. The MSU fee is transferable only if notification to reschedule is received 2 business days prior to the scheduled test date.
More CLEP information
The Minot State University Center for Extended Learning holds a copy of the CLEP Official Study Guide which contains sample questions of all 34 CLEP Exams. This guide can be reviewed only in the CEL office. It is not available for check-out.
To find additional information about CLEP and how to prepare for an exam, visit CLEP on the web. CLEP has also made available an online preparation tool that uses computer based testing software to help you prepare. The Sampler contains tutorials to familiarize potential candidates to a computer based test (CBT). The Sampler is available at www.collegeboard.com/clep by clicking on Preparing, then download the CLEP Sampler. You can also visit www.cleppracticeprep.com for practice tests and more tips for success.
Contact and Testing Center Information
MSU's testing center is located on the third floor of the Administration Building on the Minot State University campus. For more information about the CLEP registration, call Jennifer Benke at (701) 858-3990, or toll free (800) 777-0750, exension 3990 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Already taken a CLEP Examination? Have you requested your scores be sent to Minot State University? To inquire contact Melissa Cantone at (800) 777-0750, extension 3347 or (701) 858-3347 or email email@example.com