Clinical Education Goals
Students completing a Master of Science in Speech-Language Pathology at Minot State University should attain the following clinical outcomes:
- Demonstrate clinical skills with minimal need for direct or prescriptive instruction to perform effectively.
- Demonstrate ability to apply previous coursework and experiences to all clinical assignments.
- Take initiative in providing therapy to individuals with communication disorders and make changes when appropriate.
- Demonstrate professional skills including honesty, trustworthiness, reliability, sensitivity to cultural differences, and maintenance of all ethical standards.
- Use appropriate verbal language skills with clients, supervisors, family members, and other professionals.
- Conduct effective conferences.
- Demonstrate assessment skills including collecting, analyzing, and synthesizing relevant data; observing non-target behaviors; and making ongoing clinical judgments.
- Demonstrate self-assessment skills to facilitate self-supervision and independence.
- Develop appropriate programming for most clients at an independent level.
- Demonstrate effective intervention skills including selecting appropriate materials, maintaining on task-behavior, giving clear instructions and feedback, flexibility, and counseling appropriately.
- Use effective written language skills in all professional writing.
- Apply academic, clinical, ethical, multicultural, and professional knowledge with multicultural, diverse, and special needs populations.