Campus procedures for hiring student employees
As you prepare for the new academic year, please take a moment to review the campus procedures for hiring student employees -
- All student employment opportunities should be posted through the MSU Job Link (www.minotstateu.edu/careers).
- Students interested in campus employment should complete a Student Employment Agreement in the Financial Aid Office.
- If a student is eligible for the federal work-study (FWS) program, the FWS fund number will be listed on the employment agreement. Student wages will be billed to the FWS fund until the student reaches his/her work-study limit.
- If a student is not eligible for the FWS program, your department fund number will be listed on the employment agreement. Student wages will be billed to your department fund for the remainder of the fiscal year (or until the Payroll Office is notified of a change).
- To maximize the institutional work-study award, the Payroll Office will not process student employment agreements until the Financial Aid Office has determined FWS eligibility.
- For FY15, the wage rate for a general student employee is $9.00 per hour (please check with the Human Resource Office for other approved wage rates and exceptions).
- Supervisors should generally limit student employment to 20 hours per student per week.
- Finally, if you have returning student employees, these procedures should be followed each fiscal year (i.e., students should complete a new employment agreement, be considered for FWS eligibility, etc).
If you have questions about student employment, please call the Financial Aid Office at 858-3342.
Brian Foisy, Vice President for Administration & Finance