Skip to content
Be seen. Be heard.

College of Business

Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)

What is VITA?

VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) is an IRS-sponsored program which provides income tax preparation services free of charge to our community.

Who qualifies for VITA?

  • Individuals earning less than $52,000 a year
  • Elderly
  • Military
  • Taxpayers with small businesses (sole proprietors only) that do not own depreciable assets and only if income and expense items are subtotaled and organized by the taxpayer ahead of time.

Who will be preparing my tax returns?

Fully-trained MSU accounting students.

You are required to bring the following documentation to your VITA appointment:

  • Completed Intake Form (pdf)
  • Copy of last year’s federal and state return (even if you had them prepared by us)
  • Valid Picture ID of yourself and spouse (valid driver's license or passeport)
  • Birthdates for you, your spouse, and your dependents
  • Social security cards for you, your spouse, and your dependents (If you have misplaced a card, go to the Social Security office in town to apply for a duplicate. Bring us a stamped receipt with the card number on it.) If you do not bring all social security cards or the proper receipt, you will not be served.
  • Forms1095 -Health Insurance or Affordable Health Care Statements
  • Health Insurance Exemption Certificates, if received
  • If you receive a 1099-B, bring basis information for any securities sold in the year. (Contact your investment broker for this information if it is not shown on the form. You need this information even if the funds were automatically reinvested. We cannot prepare your return without your investment’s basis.)
  • Wage and earnings statements (i.e. W-2 and 1099-MISC) and the amount of all other income received by you, your spouse, and your dependents.
  • Interest and dividend statements
  • Child or dependent care provider’s address and tax identification number for the Child/Dependent Care Credit and total amounts paid to each provider for each qualifying child or dependent.
  • Proof of account number and routing transit number of the financial institution for direct deposit into a savings or checking account. (Acceptable proof is a voided check for checking accounts or a voided deposit slip for savings accounts.)
  • Form 8332 or copy of divorce decree if you are a non-custodial parent claiming the child
  • If you receive a 1099-Misc, bring record of related expenses and business miles
  • if you receive 1099-A or 1099-C, bring information related to the foreclosure or cancellation of debt.
  • Your real estate tax bill and proof of payment made last year, even if you don’t normally itemize deductions.
  • Proof of home purchase including any information regarding a First-time Homebuyer Credit you received (Forms 1099-A or 1099-C)
  • Form 1099-SA and/or Form 5498-SA regarding Health Savings Accounts
  • Proof of sales tax paid on new (not used) vehicle purchased during last year
  • Form 1098-T for tuition and scholarship information
  • Any other relevant income and expenses information
  • Bank routing numbers and account numbers for direct deposit of your tax refund.

If you are married and filing jointly, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms before it can be e-filed.

Your return will be electronically filed (e-file) and if you are due a refund, you can expect to receive your refund within 2-3 weeks, provided your return is not rejected. Rejections occur because of incorrect social security numbers, incorrect birth dates, incorrect dependency status, attempting to claim yourself or a dependent that has already been claimed by someone else, or other errors made by the client or the preparer. You must know your dependency status before coming to the site.

If your return results in an amount due to the IRS and/or state(s) for the current year's return, you may e-file any time before the due date and you may wait until April 15th to pay the amount due.

Contact Information
Jay Wahulnd, CPA
Assistant Professor
Chair, Department of Accounting and Finance
701-858-3207 or 1-800-777-0750 ext. 3207