Skip to content
Be seen. Be heard.

Veterans Services

Chapter 1607 (REAP)

The Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP) provides educational assistance to members of Reserve components called or ordered to active duty in response to a war or national emergency (contingency operation) as declared by the President or Congress.  This program makes certain reservists who were activated for at least 90 days after September 11, 2001 either eligible for education benefits or eligible for increased benefits.  The benefit is paid directly to the student in the form of a monthly stipend.

For more information you may also call 1-888-GI-BILL-1.

Just a reminder, you are eligible to apply for federal financial aid online at

  • Contact Laurie Weber, Financial Aid Office if you need assistance with the application.
  • If you are not applying for financial aid, be aware that you will still need to pay tuition and fees by the regular fee payment deadline or sign up for the MSU Tuition Payment Plan in order to avoid being cancelled for nonpayment.
  • Contact the Business Office at 858-3330 for more information.
Applying for 1607 benefits

For National Guard/Reserve members who were mobilized for active duty service for 90 days or more and are current drilling members of the Natinoal Guard or Reseve. 

  • You only need to fill out an application for the GI Bill once; even if you switch schools. If you switch chapters, then you will need to apply for the new benefit
  • Apply for Benefits at  through VONAPP
  • Create a new VONAPP account (if you have not done so already). – Do not use "DS Login" option
    • Fill out the online version of VA Form 22-1990 (link) or hard copy 22-1990 which you will have to mail in (link)
      • At the end of your application, you will have the opportunity to upload documents in support of your claim. Uploading your documents will help reduce the time needed for the VA to approve your claim.
        Documents must be under 1 megabyte in size. If you do not upload your documents during your application, you will need to fax or mail them to the VA. VA fax: 314-552-9741                
      • Upload your Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE). This forms comes from your unit after you complete AIT/Tech School                
      • Upload your Kicker contract (if applicable)
    • Upon completing the application and document uploads, submit your application. Be sure to write down your reference number.
    • Print a copy of your application for your records
    • If you previously used Ch. 1606 MGIB-Selected Reserve benefits and are transitioning to Ch. 1607 after serving on active duty, you will need to complete the 22-1995 and return it to the MSU Veteran Center office with a copy of your orders to Active Duty and your DD214 (discharge document)
    • After submitting your application you will need to fill out a MSU Veteran Information Sheet before MSU can send in the VA Form 22-1999 to begin your benefits. The benefit approval process can take up to three months. If/when approved, the VA will send you a Certificate of Eligibility. Bring your Certificate of Eligibility to MSU Veteran Center office Admin 152. The VA does not contact MSU about your benefits.You will be the first to know. If you have any questions about the status of your claim, you will need to call the VA at 888-442-4551 or submit a question online at 
    • Each semester you must complete a "SEMESTER WORKSHEET" after you register to confirm that you wish to continue receiving benefits.
    • The VA requires that you verify your enrollment at the end of each month before they will issue you a payment.
      • If this form is incomplete or not returned, you will not be certified. The worksheet is available at the Minot State Veterans Center office or online at the following semester worksheet link.
      • You may verify your enrollment either by calling 1-877-823-2378 or by confirming your enrollment online at the Departmet of Veterans Affairs W.A.V.E. web site.
      • If you have signed up for direct deposit, you will receive your payment more quickly because you will eliminate printing and mail time.
      • To sign up for direct deposit, call 1-877-838-2778. Be sure the VA has your correct address. They will not allow your checks to be forwarded.
      • You may contact the VA through the W.A.V.E. web site mentioned above to process address changes.
      • Also be sure to update your address on the MSU Campus Connection.

Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP) Students must have been called or ordered to active duty in response to war or national emergency as declared by the President or Congress.  

MSU Ch. 1607 Checklist 

After you are certified for benefits 1607 students can expect:

  • An email from the VA to the email address you provided confirming your certification within 1-3 business days. This will indicate the number of units certified.  Contact the Minot State Veteran Center if the units certified are not correct.
  • To begin receiving your Educational Assistance Allowance within 2-3 weeks