Skip to content
Be seen. Be heard.

Veterans Services

ACTIVE DUTY Montgomery GI Bill - Chapter 30 info (VA Link)

If you have not used or never applied for the GI Bill, please apply online at

As a student receiving Chapter 30 benefits, the Montgomery GI Bill-Active Duty, there are a few things you should be aware of:

    • Provide a copy of your Ch. 30 Certificate of Eligibility to the Veterans Center when you receive it from VA.
    • It may take approximately 7-8 weeks for your initial application for benefits to be processed.
      • Your first check will include all monies due you retroactive to the first day of school.
      • After your initial check is issued, you should receive your check during the first week of each month that you are enrolled.
    • Just a reminder, you are eligible to apply for federal financial aid online at
    • Contact Laurie Weber, Financial Aid Office if you need assistance with the application.
    • If you are not applying for financial aid, be aware that you will still need to pay tuition and fees by the regular fee payment deadline or sign up for the MSU Tuition Payment Plan in order to avoid being cancelled for nonpayment.
    • Contact the Business Office at 858-3330 for more information.
  • If you are a transfer student, please complete a 22-1995 Change of Place of Training Form at and provide a copy to our office.
  • You are required to complete a "Minot State VA Worksheet" each semester to convey your enrollment plans AFTER YOU REGISTER FOR CLASSES to confirm your wish to continue receiving benefits.  The worksheet is available at
    • If this form is incomplete or not returned, you will not be certified.
  • The VA requires that you verify your enrollment at the end of each month before they will issue you a payment.
    • You may verify your enrollment by calling 1-877-823-2378 or by confirming your enrollment online at
    • If you have signed up for direct deposit, you will receive your payment more quickly because you will eliminate printing and mail time. To sign up for direct deposit, call 1-877-838-2778.
    • Be sure the VA has your correct address.  They will not allow your checks to be forwarded.
    • You may contact the VA through the WAVE web site mentioned above to process address changes.
  • Please notify us as soon as possible regarding changes to your enrollment so that we can convey your new enrollment status to the VA.
  • If you have questions please contact the office via e-mail at or or by phone at 1-800-777-0750, ext. 4002.
  • Your VA educational benefits hotline 1(888)442-4551