Skip to content
Be seen. Be heard.

Veterans Services

ACTIVE DUTY - VETERAN - Post 9/11 GI Bill Chap 33 (VA Link)

If you have not used or never applied for the GI Bill, please apply online at


As a veteran student receiving benefits under Chapter 33, the Post 9/11 GI Bill, there are a few things you should be aware of:

  • Just a reminder, you are eligible to apply for federal financial aid, which you can do online at
    • Contact Laurie Weber, 858-3875 if you need assistance with the application.
  • Provide a copy of your Ch. 33 Certificate of Eligibility to the Veterans Center when you receive it from the VA.
  • If you are a transfer student, please complete a 22-1995 Change of Place of Training Form at and provide a copy to me.
  • Each semester, complete a "VA Worksheet" to convey your enrollment plans after you register and to confirm whether you wish to continue receiving benefits.
    • If this form is incomplete or not returned, you will not be certified. The worksheet is available at
  • You may only be certified to repeat a course you have previously taken under certain circumstances.
  • Contact the VA Certifying Official if you want to repeat a course for more details.
  • Ch. 33 benefits include three kinds of benefits:
    1. Net tuition and fee benefits, which will be paid directly to MSU.
    2. Book allowance, up to $1000 per academic year, paid proportionally by term directly to the student.
    3. Housing stipends, which are based on the current rate of pay for an E5 with dependents in our Zip Code, paid directly to the student.
    • Housing stipends are NOT PAID for students enrolled at half time status or less. More than half time the housing allowance is paid by the student’s rate of pursuit (rounded to the nearest tenth).
    • Housing stipends are NOT PAID for spouses of active duty service members if the benefit is received as a transfer of eligibility.
    • Housing stipends are paid to students enrolled exclusively in distance education courses.
    • Students need to be enrolled more than half-time to receive this benefit. The benefit is paid out as half of the national average BAH for an E-5 with dependents or prorated more than half time. 
  • Break or interval pay is NO LONGER PAYABLE under any VA education benefit program unless under an Executive Order of the President or due to an emergency, such as natural disaster or strike.
  • An example: If your semester ends 15 December, your housing allowance is paid for the first 15 days of December only, and begins again when your next semester begins, 10 January.
  • Effective August 1, 2011, reimbursement for more than one license or certification test (previously only one test was allowed). Also reimbursement of fees paid to take national exams used for admission to an institution of higher learning.
  • You MAY NOT RECEIVE Ch. 33 tuition and fee benefits for classes that you are also using another form of federal tuition assistance benefits for, including military Federal Tuition Assistance, MyCAA, or ROTC benefits. (Federal Title IV Student Financial Aid programs are excluded). Likewise, any scholarships or waivers applied directly to tuition and fees will not be paid again by Chapter 33 benefits.
  • Be sure to notify the VA of any address changes. They will not allow your checks to be forwarded.
    • You may contact the VA through the WAVE web site mentioned above to process address changes.
    • Also be sure to notify update your address on the MSU Campus Connection online at
  • It may take approximately 7-8 weeks for your initial application for benefits to be processed.
    • Your first check will include all monies due you retroactive to the first day of school.
    • After your initial check is issued, you should receive your check during the first week of each month that you are enrolled.
  • Please notify the Veteran office as soon as possible regarding changes to your enrollment so that we can convey your new enrollment status to the VA.  This is very important to avoid a possible debt with the VA.
  • The VA requires students to attend their classes for tuition payments.
  • If you feel your grades leave any room for doubt on your attendance (X, I, or F grades) please turn in signed notes from your instructors stating that you attended class or the school may have to return your tuition payment to the VA and bill you for the tuition.
  • Be advised that dropping classes after the term starts may create a debt with the VA due to the difference in the tuition for the amount of credits you are enrolled in.
  • The school will refund you according to the refund policy; however the VA will bill you according to the tuition difference (100%).
  • If you have questions please contact the office via e-mail at or or by phone at 1-800-777-0750, ext. 4002.
  • Your VA educational benefits hotline 1(888)442-4551