Skip to content
Be seen. Be heard.

Veterans Services

Certification Policies

There are many different benefits available to active duty and veteran students. Specific information about your benefit(s) must be directed to 1(888)442-4551. 

Students using VA benefits need to submit the following items to the Minot State Veteran Center Office, Dakota Hall:

  • Semester worksheet
  • Copy of DD214, Kicker Contract, and NOBE
  • Certificate of Eligibility (this will be sent to you by the VA once your application is approved)

Keep in mind that processing the certification can take the VA some time. Because of this, we put a veteran’s extension on your student account to avoid any late fees.

Some students depend on using federal financial aid (Pell grants, loans, etc.) for living assistance. Federal law mandates that financial aid must be applied to your account if there is a balance, and federal financial aid will disburse before your VA benefits typically do. This puts some students in a difficult financial situation.

Please call our office before the start of the term if you are dependent on those funds for expenses other than tuition and fees, we can certify your benefits earlier. You must be enrolled in classes and let us know as early as possible prior to the term start date to allow time to report your term certification and time for the VA to than process your benefits.


Repeat Courses-Students may not be certified for a repeated course if the original grade was a "D" or higher, unless a higher grade is specifically required for graduation. The VA will not pay for a student to repeat a "D" grade to simply improve their GPA. Students may be certified one time to repeat a course for which they have received an "F". Please contact the VA certifying official if you are planning to repeat a course.

Audited Courses-You cannot be certified for benefits for an audited course.

Part-Term Courses-The VA will count a part-term course toward your enrollment status only while that course is actually in session.

Incomplete Grades-If an "I" grade is not completed within 30 instructional days into the following semester, the VA will deduct those credits from your enrollment status for that term and an overpayment situation may occur.

Satisfactory Progress-Students who fail to maintain satisfactory academic progress and to make progress toward the completion of their educational objectives will be reported to the VA for unsatisfactory progress. These students may have their VA benefits suspended. [VA Education Home Page]

Developmental Courses
The State Board of Higher Education has implemented a new policy under Academic Affairs regarding Admission Policies - Student Placement into College Courses (policy 401.1.2).

Minot State University Math and English Placement Guidelines (link)

Contact Minot State University Advising Coordinator with questions.
Heather Martin

Collaborative Courses collaborative student



An individual’s branch of service may offer the College Fund (also known as a “kicker”) as part of an enlistment or reenlistment contract, or for other reasons they determine. The College Fund is an additional amount of money that increases an individual’s basic monthly benefit and is included in his or her VA payment.

Each service branch (not VA) determines who receives the College Fund and the amount received. It may be necessary to send VA a copy of your College Fund contract to ensure the correct amount is added to your monthly benefit. Typically, College Fund contracts are found within your enlistment contract. Contact your military unit or the National Archives to get a copy.