Project Safe Neighborhood (PSN)
This project is a national initiative aimed to reduce gun violence that was announced by President Bush and Attorney General Ashcroft.
This initiative includes partnerships among federal, state and local law enforcement agencies; strategic planning incorporating such technologies as crime mapping, gun tracing, and ballistic analysis; training that brings together federal, state and local officials to build effective teams; outreach to communities; and accountability for impact on community safety.
The Rural Crime and Justice Center will be gathering data on the following:
- number of firearms sold
- number of firearm permits issued to include concealed weapons permits
- number of gun shows
- number of arrests and prosecutions involving firearm related violence
- number of convictions and sentence length
- number of repeat offenders
- crime mapping to determine geography of firearm related violence
- victimization strategies
A University Center of Excellence