Planning & Budget Council
2013 Focus Group
2013 Focus Group Recommendations [pdf]
Mission: To develop a dynamic strategic planning process that identifies goals, objectives, and the funding mechanisms to ensure Minot State University’s competitive advantage, quality, and growth.
Meetings: Monthly; second Wednesday; 3:00-5:00 P.M. subcommittee meetings convening regularly to conduct research, fact finding, and monitoring of plan.
Membership: nominated by respective governance groups; appointed by president for terms of three and two years; faculty, staff, student and administrative representatives; ex-officio members from Board of Regents and Alumni Board.
Processes: chaired by president; agenda distributed via email by Monday of the week of the meeting and available to campus on the MSU web site; minutes recorded and approved at the following meeting; approved minutes are distributed to members of each respective unit.
- Open and honest deliberation
- Institutional viewpoint
- All key issues and topics affecting institution are to be raised and discussed
- All decisions are supported externally
- Initiate and implement strategic change
- Oversees strategic planning processes
- Establishes strategic planning research procedures (defining key performance indicators, conducting environmental scan)
- Assesses internal and external environments, identification of strengths, threats, challenges, and opportunities; identifies appropriate strategies, goals, and objectives aligned with mission and market).
- Coordinate and facilitate listening, reflecting, communicating and seeking consensus
- Communicating with campus constituency groups (e.g., senate)
- Assess achievement and failures
- Presenting cogent case to campus; communication objectives, explaining plans, encouraging involvement in the processes
- Seek total understanding and commitment by campus
- Learning about planning strategies
- Reassess and question mission, confirm core values
- Setting clear timelines and processes
- Implement a process of institutional review, prioritization and plans for consolidations, elimination, and reallocation
- Conducts public forums and focus groups; collecting information from institutional data reports and internal and external stakeholders
- Aggregates information collected from stakeholders; identifies institutional strengths; discusses and examines key points from stakeholders
- Oversees identification and reporting on Cornerstone Goals (aligned with strategic planning processes)
- Works to align college and specific units’ plans
- Leads public open forums in November and April on planning objectives and budgeting
- Prepares annual report on accomplishments and progress
- Identify five-year and ten year visions and time frame