Skip to content
New Student Orientation


What are Developmental Courses?
Developmental courses are required as prerequisites for higher level English and Math courses, they do not count as credit toward graduation, and they do not impact college GPA. Students in developmental courses must earn a "C" or higher in order to take the next level course. The developmental courses qualify for Financial Aid.

What Scores Require Developmental Courses?

What should I do next?
If you feel your current ACT or SAT score(s) is not an accurate measure of your ability, you will want to consider taking the COMPASS (Math/English Placement) exam.


The COMPASS exam is a measuring tool for Math and English placement. Why would you take the COMPASS exam:

You will have the opportunity to take the COMPASS exam when you come to CONNECT Orientation; however, it's recommended that you take the test prior to your CONNECT date. Options for taking the exam include:

To schedule a remote Compass test:

Note: You will need to request remote access from MSU at least 48 hours prior to scheduling the exam at your remote location. Your remote access is valid for 45 days. If you do not take the exam within 45 days, you will be required to contact MSU to request permission again.