- How much do online courses cost?
- Do I have to be online at a certain time?
- Can I start online courses at any time?
- How many courses should I take at a time?
- What courses are offered online?
- Do I need a book for my online courses?
- How do I login to my online course?
- Can I use financial aid for online courses?
- Why do online courses cost more than on campus courses?
- If I am taking 12 semester hours (full time) on campus and I take an online course, is it free?
- Can I take individual courses or do I have to enroll in a degree program?
- I am receiving a degree from MSU Online and need to complete my general education requirements. How do I complete a lab science?
- Does MSU Online provide any free software support for courses?
- I attended Minot State University many years ago. Do I have to reapply to take courses with MSU Online?
- Login instructions can be found on the Login Instructions page.
- Unlike other institutions that charge by the program or semester, MSU Online charges by the credit (semester hour). Since many of our students transfer in hours from other institutions, this saves them money. For the Fall 2015 - Summer 2016 academic year, undergraduate courses cost $266.26 per credit and graduate courses are $334.33 per credit. (Schedule of tuition and fees)
- No, distance education courses are charged by the semester hour regardless of the studentís load on campus. Therefore, you must pay for every semester hour of online courses you are taking.
Do I have to be online at a certain time?
- Online asynchronous courses do not have a scheduled meeting day and time, so students can do their coursework at their convenience. However, most courses have deadlines for homework and testing but when you complete these is up to you and your schedule.
- Online synchronous (Web Based) courses have a scheduled meeting day and time each week. Students must login and attend class on a regular schedule. Students generally need a web cam and microphone to attend class.
Why do online courses cost more than on-campus courses?
- Online costs more due to the complex infrastructure required to maintain it, including Blackboard, our course delivery platform, servers, instructor training, operating license, and electronic student services. MSU Online is one of the most affordable four-year institutions in the nation.
Does MSU Online provide any free software support for courses?
- Blackboard operates on software and browsers that are available as a free download. In the long-term interest of keeping costs down, software requirements for courses are the studentís responsibility to purchase and maintain. The MSU Bookstore does offer reduced educational rates for students on all programs. Free supporting software can be found on Downloads link under Student Services.
Can I use financial aid for online courses?
- Financial aid is available to eligible students. To apply online visit the Financial Aid site under Student Services.
Can I start online courses at any time?
- Our online courses follow the Minot State University campus course schedule and registration occurs three times a year, in the Fall, Spring and Summer. To attend Online you must register during one of these approved registration periods.
Do I need a book for my online courses?
- Most courses require the support of a textbook. Books can be purchased online or on the telephone from the MSU Bookstore. Financial aid can be used if they are purchased during the financial aid charge dates. The dates are available on the Business Office web site.
How many courses should I take at a time?
- You can expect to spend as much time in your online course as in traditional on campus course. We recommend new students only take one or two courses their first semester until they get used to the technology and e-learning environment. More experienced students take 3 to 5 classes each semester, but much of this is based on your job, family, and other commitments, as well as the difficulty of the courses.
Can I take individual courses or do I have to enroll in a degree program?
- Many of our students take courses to supplement their on campus experience. You can take a mixture of online with on campus or go entirely online.
I attended Minot State University many years ago. Do I have to reapply to take courses with MSU Online?
- You will need to fill out an Application for Re-Admission form and provide transcripts from any college or universities you have attended since MSU. However, you will NOT have to pay the application fee again. If you have any questions, you can contact the Registrar's Office at at 701-858-3349 or 1-800-777-0750 Ext. 3349.
I am receiving a degree from MSU Online and need to complete my general education requirements. How do I complete a lab science?
- At this time, MSU does not offer any lab science courses online. To complete your lab science general education requirements, you can register with another North Dakota University System school through the collaborative program. Several NDUS schools offer lab sciences online. The collaborative program allows you to have a home institution, MSU, where you are receiving your degree and take classes from other NDUS schools at the same time. You can find more information on the Collaborative Program page.
- You can find a list of courses that have been developed for delivery online in the Online Catalog. Not all courses will be offered each semester. You can find a list of courses offered in the current semester on the Schedules page.