Skip to content
Office of International Programs

Off-campus Employment

International students are never eligible for off-campus employment without special authorization. Always speak with your International Student Coordinator before accepting or participating in off campus employment. International students are not permitted to work off-campus without prior authorization from the Office of International Programs.

Off-campus employment opportunities are extremely limited by the immigration regulations. A student who has been in the United States in valid F-1 status for one academic year (fall & spring semesters) is eligible to work off-campus only under certain circumstances:

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is off-campus employment authorization for international students in F-1 status. CPT is defined by U.S. immigration regulations as being an integral part of the student’s curriculum and directly related to his/her major field of study. 



A note of caution
While USCIS regulations provide a variety of opportunities for international students in F-1 status to be employed, working improperly or without authorization is a serious violation of your status. You should therefore consult with the MSU International Student Coordinator before taking up ANY employment. It is YOUR responsibility to comply with all immigration regulations that apply to F-1 students.

Curricular Practical Training Application Process
If you are interested in learning more about Curricular Practical Training, you must set an advising appointment with the International Student Coordinator. During this meeting, CPT requirements and a step-by-step process will be outlined in detail. You will also receive the relevant forms needed to complete the authorization process through the Office of International Programs.

Remember that CPT authorization is not complete until your I-20 is updated with CPT information by the Office of International Programs. Under no circumstances are you allowed to start off-campus employment until you receive a new I-20 with training dates listed on page 3. Working off-campus without prior authorization is a violation of F-1 status.

Optional Practical Training
Optional Practical Training (OPT) allows students to engage in off-campus employment for 12 months. OPT is defined as "temporary employment for practical training directly related to a studentís major area of study." The idea is that you can gain practical experience in your field of study to round out your academic experience before returning to your home country. Therefore, the work must be in your field of study and it must be at the level of your education. Many students do this after they graduate.

OPT can be authorized for a maximum aggregate period of 12 months for each level of study. Students who maintain lawful F-1 status for one full academic year become eligible for this benefit, and you receive a new period of OPT after you complete each level of study (12 months after Bachelors degree, 12 months after Masters degree, etc.)

Granting of OPT is not automatic, although most applications are approved. A student must apply for OPT from the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) which in turn issues an EAD card (Employment Authorization Document) to the student that is valid for 12 months. USCIS can take 90-120 days to approve an application for OPT, so students should file their applications with USCIS well in advance of their intended start date. There is a filing fee for an OPT application.

If you wish to apply for OPT, you should do so early; December/January are best for spring and summer graduates, and August/September are best for December graduates. Regulations REQUIRE you apply before graduation, and you cannot apply after graduation. Please make an appointment with your International Student Coordinator well in advance if you plan to apply for OPT.

During the period you are working on OPT you are required to keep Minot State notified of your address so it can be updated in SEVIS, and you are required to keep your I-20 valid by having it signed at least once a year. If you need your I-20 signed and you are not in the Minot area, please mail it to us with a self-addressed return envelope.

More information about OPT can be found here.

Severe Economic Hardship Employment
As you already know, in order for an I-20 form to be issued for an incoming international student, the student must show that they have the necessary funding to study and support themselves in the United States. If a studentís source of funding should suddenly change, through circumstances over which the student has no control, then the student may be eligible to apply for off-campus employment authorization based on "Severe Economic Hardship." The student must document their case carefully, and prove to the USCIS that the change in funding source came unexpectedly. Similar to OPT, an Economic Hardship application has a filing fee, and can take the USCIS between 90-120 days to adjudicate. If approved, this off-campus work authorization expires within one-year, whereupon the student (if still eligible) may reapply. If approved, the employment is limited to 20 hours/week while school is in session but may be full-time during breaks.

To be eligible to apply, the student must;

  1. Have completed at least one full academic year and be in good academic and legal standing,
  2. Demonstrate that there is an unforeseen severe economic necessity beyond the student's control that arose after obtaining F-1 status,
  3. Demonstrate that other employment opportunities are unavailable or are otherwise insufficient,
  4. Establish that employment will not interfere with full-time study.

Specifically, cases where this benefit is NOT available include:

If the financial situation is too severe, part-time employment may not solve the problem. You and the International Student Coordinator will need to look at all options available within the F-1 regulations. It is important for the International Student Coordinator to understand the full scope of your financial necessity and the conditions that created the hardship.


Employment With International Organizations
This F-1 employment benefit allows F-1 students to work for recognized international organizations within the meaning of the International Organization Immunities Act. Qualifying organizations include the United Nations, World Bank, and World Health Organization. A complete list of qualifying organizations is published at 19 CFR 148.87. None of the qualifying organizations have offices in Minot.


Special Student Relief
This benefit is available only to students from Indonesia, South Korea, Malaysia, Thailand or the Philippines who obtained visas before June 10, 1998. For more information, contact your International Student Coordinator.