Master of Science in Information Systems
Phone: 701-858-4157 or 1-800-777-4157
THIS DEGREE IS OFFERED VIA DISTANCE EDUCATION
Mission of the College of Business
The MSU College of Business educates, challenges, inspires, and mentors students in their pursuit of a high-quality business education through interactive and engaged learning experiences for their professional and personal betterment.
Mission and Goals of the Information Systems Program
The Master of Science in Information Systems graduate is a technologically sophisticated business executive who forecasts information systems needs, develops information systems infrastructures, maintains existing systems, and communicates interdepartmentally. This professional may be an independent contractor consulting in various information systems applications.
Student Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the MSIS program will be able to
- Demonstrate technology skills at a sophisticated level.
- Develop information systems infrastructures.
- Communicate an information systems strategy.
- Provide information systems consulting services.
MSIS Admissions Standards
Admission requirements in addition to those of the Graduate School and College of Business:
- Undergraduate degree in CIS or MIS or
- Undergraduate degree in business, plus additional undergraduate MIS courses or
- Undergraduate degree, plus additional undergraduate business and MIS courses or
- Undergraduate degree, experience in MIS, plus additional undergraduate courses depending upon undergraduate degree
MSIS Admission Requirements and Instructions
- A completed MSU Graduate School application submitted online is required; paper applications are not accepted. Access the online application at www.minotstateu.edu/graduate and select Apply Now. Detailed admissions requirements and instructions are also available on the Graduate School website. The exception to this application is for readmission (available on the Graduate School website under Forms).
- Requirements and Instructions. Detailed admission requirements and instructions can be found at www.minostateu.edu/graduate/guidelines.shtml
- In order for a student to pursue a graduate degree at MSU, the student must complete the formal online application for admission to the Graduate School and receive an official letter granting admission. Students are required to have a minimum undergraduate grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.75 (on a 4.0 scale) for admission consideration. A GPA of 3.00 or above for the last 60 hours of coursework will be considered if a student does not meet the 2.75 requirements. Students who do not meet either GPA requirement may appeal to the department chairperson for consideration.
- Statement of Purpose. An applicant must submit a concise (500-1500 words) essay describing his/her primary interest in the MSIS program, experiences related to the area of study, and objectives in pursuing the MSIS degree at MSU. In particular, the essay should be as specific as possible in describing the studentís interests, and relevant educational, research, commercial, government, or teaching experiences. If applying for more than one program, submit a separate Statement of Purpose for each program.
- Applicants must earn an admission score of at least 400 to be considered. This score is calculated as follows: Statement of Purpose score (total possible = 100 points) plus undergraduate GPA multiplied by 100 plus the number of years of professional level work experiences multiplied by 10 up to a maximum of 100 points). A resume must be submitted with evidence to support the number of years of professional experience.
- The applicant must receive a recommendation for acceptance from the College of Business Graduate Faculty.
Required Courses BIT 556 Virtual Business 3 SH BIT 560 Manage/Integrate IS Function 3 SH BIT 561 IS Project Management 3 SH BIT 563 Database Management and Administration 3 SH BIT 564 Systems Analysis 3 SH BIT 565 Systems Design 3 SH BIT 566 Knowledge Management 3 SH BIT 570 E-Business Strategy 3 SH BIT 575 Business Network Systems Management 3 SH BIT 582 Professional Consulting in IS 3 SH