Out of State Residents: MSU is not authorized to offer distance (online) education to residents of certain states. Visit www.minotstateu.edu/online to learn more about our online course offerings.
In order for a student to pursue a graduate degree at Minot State University, the student must complete the online application for admission to the Graduate School and receive an official letter from the Dean of the Graduate School granting admission. A complete application packet includes the following items:
- Completed "MSU Graduate School Application." This application must be submitted online. The Graduate School at Minot State University does not accept paper applications. To access the online application, please visit: https://app.applyyourself.com/?id=ndusmingr. The exception to this is applications for re-admission (available on the Graduate School website, www.minotstateu.edu/graduate).
- Statement of Purpose. Submit a concise (word limits vary by program, but the minimum requirement is 500 words) essay that describes your primary interest of study, and your objective in pursuing this degree at Minot State University. In particular, your essay should be as specific as possible in describing your interests and should describe any relevant education, research, commercial, government, or teaching experience. (*Please review the Summary of Admission Requirements in this catalog). You may submit your document by uploading your Word file in the Document Upload section of the Supplemental Forms found on the online application website.
- Health Record/Proof of Two Immunizations for measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR) and, effective fall 2012, newly admitted students ages 21 and younger residing in campus housing must provide documentation of immunity against meningococcal disease, as required by the State Board of Higher Education. Upon the studentís request, such records are sometimes available through the studentís high school (or college for transfer students) and can be sent to the University. Proof of immunization for measles, mumps, and rubella requires two doses of vaccine given no less than one month apart, or positive serologic tests. No student will be permitted to enroll in a subsequent term until immunization or documentation of a waiver is complete. An immunization record waiver will apply to those who were born prior to 1/1/1957, those enrolling in distance education courses (online, correspondence, or an off-campus site) and those who adhere to a belief (religious, philosophical, moral) that are opposed to immunizations. You may upload, fax, or mail proof of immunizations. If submitting a waiver, you may download the form from the Downloadable Forms link on the online application website, print, complete, and mail to the Graduate School or you may also scan your completed waiver and upload the form in the Document Upload section of the Supplemental Forms.
- Transcripts. Transcripts from ALL previous colleges or universities, both graduate and undergraduate, are preferred. An official transcript showing the earned baccalaureate degree is required for admission consideration. Please direct the institution(s) to submit transcripts directly to the MSU Graduate School. Official transcripts are only accepted from the originating institution.
The Graduate School requires applicants to have earned, or be in the process of earning, a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution of higher education and to have a minimum undergraduate grade point average of 2.75 (scale of A = 4.00) to be eligible for admission. Applicants without these requirements must appeal to the program director to be considered for admission. The program director and department/division chair must provide a written recommendation to the graduate dean explaining the reason(s) for considering the applicant who does not meet the Graduate School minimum requirements. Departments/divisions may require more stringent grade point averages as part of the admission to their programs.
- Application Fee. Submit a one-time $35 application fee to the Graduate School, Minot State University, 500 University Avenue W., Minot ND 58707. Completed applications are processed when the application fee is received. You may submit payment to the Graduate School by mailing a check or money order. You may also pay online through our Touchnet system. To pay by credit card, please contact the MSU Business Office at 1-800-777-0750 Ext. 3333.
- Recommendations. A recommendation provider is an individual who will complete and submit a recommendation form on your behalf. Recommendation Providers may send their recommendations to the Graduate School office electronically through our application system. For those people who wish to submit their recommendations on paper, please download and print a copy of our recommendation form and follow the directions for paper recommendations. Please input the names and contact information for each provider, whether he/she will be submitting electronically or on paper. For those providers who wish to submit their recommendations electronically, please mark "Yes" for the online submission question on the Provider Input Form. The Graduate School does not send reminders for your recommendation providers. It is your responsibility to notify and monitor the status of the recommendation submission to ensure their completion. When you get to the recommendations page in your online application, please click the button that says "Recommendation Provider List." Insert the name and contact information of each recommendation provider. Once the recommendation provider information is saved, an email will be sent to the online recommendation provider with an access code and instructions on how to proceed with the online recommendation. When the recommendation provider submits the form to our office, it will become part of your application. You can view the status of your online recommendations each time you log into your application account. Letters of recommendation are a part of the online application; no additional electronic submission is required. If you are requesting your recommendation provider submit a hard copy, we have provided a copy of the recommendation form for you in the Downloadable Forms section on the application website. Please ask your recommendation providers to mail their forms directly to the Graduate School.
- Declaration of Finances (International Students ONLY). On the online application page, click on Downloadable Forms and select the correct form(s).
- Canadian Student Affidavit of Support and Financial Evidence
- International Student Affidavit of Support and Financial Evidence
- Required Test Scores. If you are required to take the GRE, GMAT, TOEFL, IELTS, or other similar test, test scores must be sent to Graduate School directly from the testing agency. The TOEFL score has an IBT minimum score of 79 and a paper-based minimum score of 550. The IELTS has a minimum score of 6. The MSU Graduate School will also accept Level 9 attainment and iTEP Level 5 from The Language Company located on the MSU campus. See: International Students/Nonimmigrant Admissions
- Additional Requirements for your intended degree program. Please carefully review admission requirements for your intended degree program and complete any additional items that are required.
These admission requirements are minimum standards, and departments may have established additional criteria. Graduate School Mailing Address: Graduate School Minot State University 500 University Ave W Minot, ND 58707 Fax: 701-858-4286
These admission requirements are minimum standards, and departments may have established additional criteria. Graduate School Mailing Address:
Minot State University
500 University Ave W
Minot, ND 58707