You did not choose art; art chose you
If you feel that way, then you know preparing for a career in the visual arts is probably the smartest thing you can do, because it will always be your passion. Studios, galleries and individual clients are always on the lookout for artists who display outstanding talent, creativity and style.
Art programs at Minot State University
MSU offers these options for students interested in studying visual arts:
- Bachelor of Arts with a Major in Art
- Bachelor of Fine Arts with a Major in Art
- Bachelor of Science with a Major in Arts Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Education with a Major in Art
- Bachelor of Science with a Major in Multimedia Studies
- Art Minor
- Art History Minor
- Art Concentration
Careers in the visual arts
Top fields for artists in today's market:
- Art direction/graphic design
- Fine arts - painting, sculpture and illustration
- Museum/gallery management
More than half of visual artists working in the United States today are self-employed.
Visual arts at MSU
All MSU art students are required to take foundation courses in art history, etc. Other coursework will depend on the type of art major you choose.
- Foundation classes: Art history, color theory, computer graphics, drawing, and photography
- BA/BFA options for art majors: art history, ceramics, crafts, drawing, graphic design, painting, photography, printmaking, and sculpture
- Arts Administration majors take classes in Communication Arts, English, and Business Administration
- Art Education majors take required courses to be certified K-12 art educators
- Multimedia Studies majors take classes in Communication Arts, English, and Business Administration
Exceptional faculty and students
Members of the art faculty are dedicated educators who have achieved personal success in the fine arts, graphic arts, and photography and work for the success of their students. To see examples of their work and the work of current students visit www.minotstateu.edu/msuart/events.shtml.
- Our college: Our university provides a fundamental liberal arts education, giving students the knowledge, skills and values to help them think critically and creatively.
- Our learning environment: Small classes ensure art students receive personal attention from their instructors in our studios and classrooms.
- Our art galleries: Student work is regularly displayed in galleries managed by Northwest Art Center, nationally known for its diverse exhibitions of contemporary and traditional art by local, regional, national and international artists.
- Our community: University and community opportunities include the MSU Art Club and NOTSTOCK (MSU's popular art festival), as well as downtown Minot galleries and museums.
The Art Department is dedicated to delivering students the best possible education and the personal attention they need to succeed.
Andrea Donovan, Ph.D.
Professor and Coordinator
College of Arts and Sciences
Phone: 701-858-3819 or 1-800-777-0750 ext. 3819