Weekly-Assigned Tutoring Policies
Tutee's Statement of Understanding of the Peer Tutoring Program Policies and Procedures
I understand that the tutoring program operates according to the following policies and procedures:
1. Students may only receive tutoring for classes in which they are currently enrolled. Tutoring is not provided for incomplete coursework.
2. Students must regularly attend class for the course in which they are receiving tutoring.
3. No more than one 2-hour session or two 1-hour sessions per week is permitted. The Tutoring
Coordinator will award a specific number of hours based on the number of remaining weeks in the semester
(up to a maximum of twelve (12) weeks).
4. Weekly-assigned tutoring is available for one course only per student per semester (exceptions may be
5. Once matched, the tutor will contact the student (tutee) and together they will establish a meeting time and
place for the initial tutoring session. If the student does not meet with the tutor within two weeks from
his/her initial call, the tutor will be reassigned.
6. After the initial meeting, it is the tutee’s responsibility to stay in contact with the tutor and to confirm
appointments each week. To change or cancel a tutoring appointment, the tutor must be notified 24 hours
in advance of the appointed time. Failure to cancel an appointment will be considered a no-show, and
means forfeiting the tutoring session for that week. Students will be required to contact their tutor before
tutoring can resume.
7. Tutees must be prompt for tutoring appointments. Any time missed due to lateness is forfeited. The tutor is
not required to wait longer than 10 minutes past the appointed time unless the tutor has received prior
notification and for emergency situations only. If the tutoring session is missed because the student is more
than 10 minutes late, it is also considered a no-show. Students will be required to contact their tutor before
tutoring can resume.
8. If two sessions of tutoring are missed for reasons other than illness, family emergency, or a University sponsored event, tutoring privileges will be forfeited for the remainder of the semester.
9. If the tutee withdraws from the course for which he/she is being tutored or wants to drop tutoring for any
reason, the tutor and the Tutoring Coordinator must be contacted immediately.
10. Tutees should always arrive prepared for tutoring sessions; i.e., read class material, attempt to do homework
assignment, and prepare questions.
11. Tutees who display discourteous or abusive behavior to their tutors will forfeit their right to receive tutoring
for the remainder of the semester.
12. All required CETL paperwork must be completed in order to receive tutoring.
13. Tutoring sessions cannot be transferred to another student.
14. At the end of the semester, students who have used tutoring services will be asked to complete an
15. Tutoring will not be offered during University breaks or the week of finals.
16. The last day to request a tutor for SPRING is Tuesday, April 5, 2013.
Understanding these Policies
Students who violate any of these aforementioned policies and procedures may be denied the privilege of individual
tutoring at any point in the semester.
ALL students are encouraged to discuss their individual needs with their tutors and consider other time
commitments when scheduling tutorial sessions. We look forward to assisting you.
NOTE: If you have any scheduling difficulties, personality conflicts or other concerns with your tutor, please
contact the Tutoring Coordinator as soon as possible.
Minot State University students who are living outside of the Minot community and who are taking online courses through MSU should access the SMARThinking program when in need of tutoring assistance. If the subject for which tutoring is needed is not covered by SMARThinking’s services, a MSU peer tutor may be assigned, depending on tutor availability and access to appropriate technology.
Students from other universities who are taking online courses through MSU should also access SMARThinking services for tutoring. If the subject is not available, no other tutoring services will be offered.
Tutoring Policies are subject to change without notice.
For more information, contact:
Jessica Smestad, Tutoring & Mentoring Coordinator
Old Main 101; 701-858-4039