Common Questions Asked in an Interview
I. Questions About College Experiences
- Tell me about your educational background
- How long have you been in school?
- What's your GPA?
- How do you find time to study?
- What kinds of extracurricular activities have you been involved in?
- Have you had courses in ______?
- What is your proficiency in _______?
- Why are you majoring in ________?
- What classes have you most enjoyed?
- Is there any class you have completely disliked?
- How have you changed since you started college?
- Is there anything you've been involved in at college that you are really
II. Questions About Work Experience
- What type of position do you have now?
- How did you find your current job?
- How many hours do you work per week?
- What did you like best about your ____ job?
- How were you evaluated in _______ position?
- Why don't you want to stay in _________ business?
- Tell me about your past sales experience
- Is there any one thing you feel you learned as a ______?
- What would your past supervisors tell me about you?
- Tell me about your last situation with an unhappy customer. What did you do?
- Did you ever have a customer get mad at something that wasn't your fault?
- Give me an example about a conflict with an employee and how you handled it?
- What has been the most difficult situation you've had to deal with?
How did you handle it?
III. Open Inquiries
- Do you have any questions? (There was little variability in the form
of this question.)
IV. Questions About Abilities, Aptitudes, Strengths, or Weaknesses
- What are your strengths? (or, Tell me something about your skills.)
- Why would you be an asset to our company? (or, What skills, or strengths, would you bring to our company?)
- What is your best quality?
- What has been your greatest accomplishment? Your greatest disappointment?
- Tell me about your leadership skills.
- What do you perceive as an area that could use some improvement?
- If you could start Monday on a self-improvement course, what one area you'd like to improve?
- How do you handle people who are critical? (or, How do you handle rejection?)
V. Biographical Questions
- Why don't you give me a brief, verbal resume?
- Give me a little bit of your background.
- Do you think you have the personality to be a manager?
- What motivates you?
- Give me three words that best describe you.
- What are your interests? (or, What types of activities do you like the best?)
- How do you think your friends would describe you?
VI. Questions About Career Aspirations
- What type of career are you looking for?
- Tell me your career goals.
- Where do you see yourself in five (or 10 to 15 years?)
- Why do you want to be a _______?
- Would you describe yourself as motivated more by your goals or by money?