"When I look at all the many possible organizations that I would consider worthwhile investments, Minot State University rises to the top," Severson said. "What will come of this investment in the university is a new academy aimed at promoting entrepreneurship and building better business leaders for the present and future needs of Minot and the surrounding region."
Get the Flash Player to see this video.
Severson Entrepreneurship Academy
Opportunity: Bakken Oil Field Faculty Research Coordinator
Application deadline: April 11, 2014
The Severson Entrepreneurship Academy was created as a result of a milestone gift to the Minot State University College of Business on February 9, 2010.
The $1 million donation comes from Clint Severson and Conni Ahart. Severson is chairman of the board, chief executive officer and president of Abaxis, a medical devices company based in northern California. He is the 2007 Forbes Entrepreneur of the Year and a 1973 alumnus of then Minot State College.
Students from all majors can participate in the academy. With the following resources available, students will have the most authentic experience possible as they begin their own business ventures:
- Curriculum focused on knowledge and skills critical for understanding how to start, maintain, and analyze start-up businesses, with emphasis on managing on-line businesses
- Entrepreneurship Club, as mechanism through which students learn a format for analyzing start-up business plans; affiliated with national Collegiate Entrepreneurship Organization (CEO)
- Advisory Board composed of successful entrepreneurs to guide and direct the Academy
- Seed Money Fund available to be awarded to the best student business start-up plans, as selected by students in the Entrepreneurship Club
- Finance Club to manage the Seed Money Fund; proceeds distributed to the Entrepreneurship Club
- Resource Room as repository for print and electronic resources and software for understanding and analyzing entrepreneurial ventures; base for conducting research about entrepreneurship in North Dakota
Mr. Chuck Barney
B.S. Rochester Institute of Technology, Rochester NY