News Flash: The MSU Broadcasting Department offers you exclusive opportunities to better prepare yourself for a career in broadcasting communications.
To broadcast is to communicate or make known to the public. In the broadcasting department you will gain hands-on experience with our cutting edge technology and innovative approach. Whether you chose to express your creativity on or off screen, the broadcasting department is where it all happens. Our students do everything from producing their own commercials and planning community events, to media writing and anchoring our very own TV show on KMSU Channel 19.
As a broadcasting major you may choose to focus in any of our three options: Production, Public Relations/Advertising, or News Writing.
As a production major, you will be involved in everything from commercial production and media writing to being a part of MSU Inside Out, our very own campus TV show, live at five o'clock every Thursday on KMSU Channel 19. Learning production techniques and working with the MSU Inside Out team, you will enhance your classroom skills on and off camera. Production majors can be involved in many areas of production including:
- Radio DJ
- Create your own radio show and learn to work in our radio production studio
- Commercial Production
- Develop your very own commercials for local campus events and the MSU Inside Out TV show
- News Commentary
- Learn how to write for the news media and become an anchor.
- Become a star on camera by working on our live show.
- Work behind the scenes in our control room to produce and manipulate video and audio.
- Weather Director
- Direct a weather sequence and create weather graphics.
Public Relations and Advertising Option
As a Public Relations/Advertising major, marketing and promotional skills are pivotal in a fast paced media environment. You will enhance your networking skills by learning to plan and promote events by communicating and working with the media, which will give you the confidence to tackle today's media in an exciting way. The goal of public relations is to enhance the reputation of a company/organization and provide a high level of communication of the company/organization goals and philosophy to the community. In order to accomplish this you will learn:
- Design and distribute digital and print media materials to various media outlets.
- Develop media kits, press releases, public service announcements and much more.
- Campaign Strategies
- Learn how to campaign for a company/organization through the use of ethical strategies.
- Special Events
- Plan special events on and off campus from start to finish.
- Gain meaningful relationships with community organizations, businesses, and representatives that will allow you to develop and maintain a contact sheet to help you in your future career.
News Writing Option
As a News Writing major, you can be involved with Minot State's campus newspaper, the Red & Green. The newspaper is printed weekly, enabling you to learn and develop skills in the following areas:
- Write news and feature stories, columns and editorials.
- Edit writers’ stories, editorials and columns.
- Lay out stories, photos and graphics.
- Take photos to accompany news, sports and entertainment articles.
- Digital editing
- Upload and update the student newspaper on the Web.
We'd like to invite you to the campus to see for yourself what broadcasting majors do! Seeing is believing and we believe you'll like what you see at Minot State! Visit MSU for a tour and a free t-shirt.
Hartnett Hall Office 146
701.858.3175 | 1.800.777.0750
Hartnett Hall Office 144
701.858.4238 | 1.800.777.0750