Skip to content
Academic Advising
Frequently Asked Questions

Academic Advisement
Grade Point Average (GPA)
Transferring to Minot State University

Academic Advisement

Do I have to meet with my academic advisor before registering for classes? Advising is mandatory for all first-year students.  Many upper class students are required to visit with advisors prior to registration, as well.  Students should check CampusConnection to see if they have advisor or department holds on their record prior to registration.

How often should I visit with my academic advisor? Students should visit with their assigned advisor to review the results from their College Student Inventory, to plan for the next semester, when they have questions about academic programs, policies and procedures, and/or when they need assistance with locating resources on campus.  Students should check their registration date & time (Enrollment Appointment) in CampusConnection and make sure to schedule an appointment to see their advisor well in advance of this date.  The Enrollment Appointment can be found in CampusConnection under Student Center.  Students should make sure not to wait until the last minute to schedule an appointment!  This will allow for advisors to have more time to devote to each student and planning ahead will allow students with more choices and less stress!

What should I do to prepare for my advisement appointment?  To make the most of a student’s advising session, it is important for students to come to the appointment fully prepared.  Following are some key items students will want to take care of prior to their appointment.

How can I change my assigned academic advisor? When students change majors, they will be assigned a new academic advisor after submitting the Major/Minor Change Form.  If students elect to work with a new advisor within the same department, they should contact the Administrative Assistant from their major department. 

How can I find out contact information for my academic advisor? Contact information for assigned academic advisors is listed in CampusConnection account under Student Center.  The phone number will be listed and by clicking on the details link, students can access the advisor’s email.  A faculty/staff directory is also available at, if students wish to find the office location.

How do I set up an appointment to visit with my academic advisor? Students can schedule an appointment with their advisor in various ways.  Possible ways to connect with your advisor include phone, email and/or in person.  It is important to ask your advisor which method works the best for future correspondence and appointments.  Some advisors may also have walk-in or office hours available for students who want to stop by to visit. 


Where can I find out about internships? Students can register with MSU’s Career Services to learn more about internship opportunities.  Career Services is a part of the Student Success Center, located on the 2nd floor of the Student Center (across from the Beaver Dam) and can be reached at 701-858-3362.  Faculty are another great resource for students pursuing internship opportunities.

Can I take career assessments to help with deciding on a major? Yes!  The Student Success Center /Career Services Office offers several career assessments including the Self-Directed Search (SDS) and the Skill Scan.  Students are encouraged to discuss the results of their career inventories with career advisors in the Student Success Center/Career Services.

Where can I find assistance with my career search? The Student Success Center/Career Services team is available to assist students with their career search.  Many resources are available on the Career Services Web site,, or students can schedule a time to visit with a staff member from the Student Success Center/Career Services.

Grade Point Average (GPA)

How do I calculate my GPA? The grade point average (GPA) is computed by dividing the number of honor points earned by the number of semester credits attempted for which grades of A, B, C, D, or F were given. Honor points are calculated by multiplying the number of semester credits by the points awarded for the grade achieved in the course.

For example, a student who received an A, a B, a C, and a D in four 3-credit courses would have the following GPA:

Students who wish to calculate their GPA, may also use an Online GPA Calculator.

Will a “W” affect my GPA? No, a “withdrawal” does not impact a student’s GPA.

What GPA do I need to be in good academic standing? Students need to maintain the following GPA based on the number of semester credits attempted to remain in good academic standing:  students with 1-23 attempted credits must have a required cumulative GPA of 1.50, students with 24-59 attempted credits must have a cumulative GPA of 1.75, and students with 60 or more attempted credits must have a cumulative GPA of 2.0.

What is Academic Warning? The first time a student’s end-of-term grades bring the cumulative GPA below the required minimum, a warning shall be issued from the Registrar’s Office notifying the student that he/she has been placed on Academic Warning.  Refer to the Undergraduate Catalog for more specific details.

What is Academic Probation? The student on Academic Warning is given another term of enrollment to bring the Cum GPA up to at least the required minimum.  Failing that effort, the student is moved from a status of Academic Warning to one of Academic Probation.  Refer to the Undergraduate Catalog for more specific details.

What is Academic Suspension? If a student on Academic Probation (cumulative GPA is below the required minimum – see above question on good academic standing) earns below a term GPA of 2.0, he/she will be placed on Academic Suspension.  Refer to the Undergraduate Catalog for more specific details.

Can my GPA affect the Financial Aid I receive?  Yes.  Students must progress towards completing their course of study and make satisfactory progress.  To maintain Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress students must be maintaining progress in three areas, one of which includes GPA.  The Satisfactory Academic Progress policy can be found at

What is an incomplete grade? An incomplete grade may be requested by a student who has been in attendance, has done satisfactory work (C or better) during the term, and whose work is incomplete for reasons found to be satisfactory to the instructor.  Refer to the Undergraduate Catalog for more specific details.

What should I do if the grade on my transcript is not correct? Students should first visit with their instructor to determine the appropriate grade for the course.  Discrepancies of grades on transcripts must be brought to the attention of the Registrar’s Office within one year of the term in question. Students who have reason to believe the recorded grade is not correct should follow the grade appeal procedures found on page 20 of the Undergraduate Catalog.

Can I take a course for satisfactory/unsatisfactory grading? Students may request to take a course on an S/U basis that is normally letter graded (A-F).  The request must be made before the last day to drop a course for that particular session.  S/U is an option for students in good academic standing who have completed 60 or more semester hours.  No more than 15 hours of elective S/U course work can be applied toward a baccalaureate degree.  The S/U option may not be used in those courses to be applied to the student’s major, minor, General Education requirements, or the professional education sequence.  Refer to the Undergraduate Catalog for more specific details.


What majors are available at Minot State University?  A complete list of degree offerings is available on pages 8 & 9 of the Undergraduate Catalog or under Academics on the MSU Web site.

How do I declare a major?  Students can view their major/program in CampusConnection by clicking on Student Center>My Academics.  If the major listed is not accurate, the online Major/Minor Change Form will need to be submitted.  This form is available on the Registrar’s Office Web site.

How do I change my major?  The Major/Minor Change Form is available online at>Current Students>Registrar’s Office>Forms.  Within 48 hours of receipt, an email confirmation of the change will be sent to the student’s MSU email account.

What if I am unsure about my major?  The Student Success Center offers career exploration assistance for students who are not sure about their major. The Student Success Center is located in the Student Center, 2nd floor (across from the Beaver Dam).

Can I double major?  Students may elect to earn a single degree with more than one major.  Students may complete a double major (two majors) or any number of majors.

Can I earn a double degree?  Students may elect to earn two or more bachelor degrees.  Each degree must be different.  Students deciding to earn two or more degrees must complete all the requirements for the major for each degree.

How many credits is required for a degree?  A minimum of 128 credits is required for a baccalaureate degree at MSU.

Do I have to choose a minor? Students earning a BA degree must pursue coursework outside the major and complete one of the following tracks:  1. One Major and three areas of Concentration, 2. Two Majors and one area of Concentration, 3. One Major, one Minor, and one area of Concentation, or 4. One Major and two Minors.


How do I register for classes? Students are assigned a registration date and time, also known as Enrollment Appointment, in CampusConnection for the upcoming semester.   Prior to registration, students will need to check CampusConnection for any holds that may affect course registration. Students can register for courses using CampusConnection once the enrollment appointment date and time arrives and registration holds have been removed.

How do I sign up for a waitlisted course? When a course is full, students may have the option to sign up for a waitlist.  When students are using the search criteria, it is important to uncheck the “show open classes only” box.  The next step is to select the appropriate course and then check the “waitlist if course is full” box.  Once students have finished enrolling, the section with indicate “waitlisting” with the appropriate position number.  Students must check their schedule in CampusConnection to see if moved from waitlisted to enrolled.  When students waitlist courses, it is important to make sure they have met all pre-/co-requisites, there is no time conflict, and that they have not signed up for another section of the same course.  Students can sign up for many waitlists; however, they are not able to rank waitlists in order of preference.

How do I sign up for an online course? Students sign up for online courses using CampusConnection.  When searching for courses, these will be designated as an “internet” course.

What is a registration hold? How do I know if I have one? There are several holds that may prevent course registration.  Examples of these holds include Department, Advisor, Housing, Health Center (MMR), and Orientation.  Students should check their holds in CampusConnection under their Student Center.  Holds will be listed on the right hand side of the screen.  Students can click to view more details and look at specific information, including contact information, for each hold.

What if I want to take a class that is closed/full? Students may have the option to waitlist courses.  Students can check CampusConnection to see if waitlist seats are available.  See above question on signing up for waitlisted courses for more information.

How do I know which Math class I am eligible to enroll in? Students should visit with their assigned academic advisor or the Math department to determine Math eligibility.  Enrollment in Math courses is based on a students’ Math ACT or Math SAT scores.   If students wish to sign up for a higher Math than eligible (based on the Math ACT or SAT), or if students have not completed the SAT or ACT exam, they can take the COMPASS Math placement exam.  Students should contact the Center for Extended Learning (CEL) to schedule an appointment to take the exam.  CEL can be reached at (701) 858-3822.

How many credits to I need to enroll in to be a full-time student? A normal undergraduate load for a fall or spring semester is 12-18 credits.  A normal undergraduate load for a summer session is 6-12 credits.  Students who enroll in more credits than the normal load will pay an extra cost per credit.

What is the maximum number of credits I can take in one semester? Students can enroll in up to 18 credits.  Those who wish to attempt more than 18 credits a term must have at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA.  Students may not register for more than 22 credits per term. The overload approval form must be signed by the assigned advisor, department/division chair and must also contain the division/department stamp.

What is an elective course? Elective courses are classes students can take that are not required to graduate or fulfill a degree requirement.

How many credits of General Education Requirements do I need to complete? A minimum of 38 credits are necessary to complete the MSU General Education Requirements.  These classes are identified in the Undergraduate Catalog and term schedule of classes with a GE#. These credits must be distributed throughout the curriculum in a prescribed manner.

How many credits of diversity coursework is required?  Students at MSU are required to complete six credits of designated diversity courses. Three of these credits fulfill the General Education Requirement, while three fulfill the graduation requirement.

Is it possible to participate in the Honors Program? To be eligible for admission to the Honors Program, first-year students (freshmen) must have a minimum composite ACT score of 25 or a high school GPA of 3.50 or higher (on a 4.00 scale). Students seeking admission after at least one academic term at the university must have a cumulative grade point average of 3.30. The program is open to students pursuing a baccalaureate degree enrolling in eight or more credits each term.  If students do not meet the GPA or ACT requirements, they may still apply by submitting the necessary forms.  Students may visit the Honors Web site for more information at

How many credits do I need to graduate? To graduate from MSU with a baccalaureate degree, students must complete a minimum of 128 semester credits.

How do I apply for graduation? Students need to submit the Application for Graduation to their academic advisor by the indicated deadline each semester.  This form must be completed by the student and the necessary department/division.

How do I request a transcript? Students can request an official transcript online, in writing by mail, fax, or in person.  Transcripts cannot be released without the student’s written signature unless requested online through CampusConnection. Transcripts cost $5.00 per copy, unless special ordering options are chosen.  For additional information please visit > current students > transcript request.

Transferring to Minot State University

How do I find out what credits will transfer to MSU? MSU accepts and transcribes all credits from regionally accredited institutions, and credits on a course by course basis from nationally accredited institutions.  Transfer courses will be reviewed and MSU course equivalencies will be noted on students’ transcripts in CampusConnection.

Where can I find information on transfer equivalencies?  Minot State University has many course equivalencies in place with institutions in North Dakota, across the region, and across the U.S. and Canada.  Specific course equivalency information can be found at

Does MSU have articulation agreements in place with other institutions?  Articulation agreements are currently in place with Lake Regional State College (Nursing Program), Medicine Hat, University of Regina, and University of Saskatchewan. These articulation agreements can be viewed at .

How will my transfer courses satisfy my MSU General Education requirements? Once transfer courses have been reviewed, they will be noted on students’ transcripts in CampusConnection.  The Transfer Credit Summary Report will indicate which courses count toward MSU General Education coursework and which courses meet a specific course equivalency.  Courses that have been equated to 100 + general education letter code (i.e. 100HU = humanities) are considered to meet General Education requirements, but have no specific course equivalency. Students who meet one of the following will satisfy their MSU General Education requirements:

Will the grades I earned at my previous institution count toward my MSU GPA? Yes. These grades will be calculated in the student’s cumulative GPA (with the exception of remedial coursework).

Will I receive credit at MSU for my military service/coursework? Basic training courses are accepted in transfer as HPER 100 and fulfill the wellness category of general education requirements at the University. All other military credits are evaluated using the most recent ACE Guide recommendations. Military work experience will not be accepted.