Minot State University:
The Campus History Series
By Mark Timbrook
In 1913, the State Normal School at Minot opened its temporary residence at the newly constructed City of Minot Armory with 11 faculty and 55 students. Site selection, reductions in funding, construction problems, litigation, and a tornado had delayed the opening of campus facilities. In 1914, the partially completed campus opened for classes. Hard economic times in the predominantly rural state delayed further construction until 1924, when the normal school received collegiate status and was renamed the State Teacherís College at Minot. Minot State University is located in the beautiful, Mouse River Valley on the drift prairie of North Dakota and has been inextricably linked to the landscape, community, and state of which it is part. This volume commemorates its origin and dynamic evolution through World War II and serves as a centennial tribute to the faculty, staff, administration and students that created this premier institution on the Northern Great Plains.
About the author
Mark Timbrook, a local historian and alumnus, has worked for Minot State University for 10 years in the Center for Extended Learning and as an adjunct instructor for the Department of History. The Dr. M. Lillehaugen History Scholarship Fund receives all royalties from the sale of this book.
For more information, please contact Mark Timbrook (701-858-3832).
Paperback: 128 pages
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
Copies can be purchased on campus in the MSU bookstore or ordered by mail. To order by mail, send a check for $27.94 ($21.99 + $5.95 for shipping) payable to Minot State University to:
500 University Ave. W.
Minot, ND 58707
For more information, please contact Mark Timbrook: